Neosporin/Eggs

Taterrtots

Chirping
5 Years
May 21, 2015
Hi!
big_smile.png

I was looking through old posts to make sure using Neosporin on my hens would be okay and the eggs would still be edible.
I plan on using it on my hen's back (we had a Rooster that favored her a few months ago and the feathers have not grown back). Her back is pretty bare and now I have seen her picking at it too. It's pretty red, not sure if it's from the sun or her picking it. I've ordered a hen saddle (although the Rooster is gone) to keep her from picking it, or any other hen for that matter. I'm thinking the Neosporin will aid in the healing process, is it okay that it may cover 2x1" area on her back? I don't know if the amount you use matters or not. I have 15 other hens, so if I can't use the eggs I need to separate her -so I know which ones are hers. Would separation be needed anyway? I was hoping the saddle would eliminate the need to do that.
I'm also considering changing the laying feed to one with more protein. Possibly an All Flock, since I have ducks that will need to go on layer feed as well. I've read about scrambling up eggs and adding other treats to keep hens from eating their feathers/eggs. I think I have an egg eater too. (There's been a few days when the nesting box is empty with no signs of shell but its kind of wet and the egg count isn't as high as their normal amount.) I've been collecting more often to see if that helps as well. Ideas? Suggestions?

TYIA

Plain neosporin should be fine, I would use that if she has broken skin, etc. An ointment like A+D can be used to help protect as as well once she has healed a little. Protecting her back from the sun and other from picking it is a good move. She most likely won't grown the feathers back until she molts. I haven't found any info on egg withdrawal when using neosporin, since it's topical, I don't think that would be a problem.

Feeding an all flock/flock raiser is quite popular for those of us who have a mixed flock, just provide oyster shell free choice for your layers.
Scrambled and/or hard boiled eggs are fine to feed as well.

Thanks so much for your help. I've had chickens for just over a year and I haven't noticed molting. (maybe I missed it?) When do they molt?

Back
Top Bottom