Nervous about integrating babies

foreverdavis

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
My oldest 6 chicks are about 9 weeks old and the 23 other babies are 5 weeks old. My younger ones are getting really cramped in their watermelon box and I would love to let them out of there. I have had some escape the box and I find them hidden behind their box scared to death. I tried purposely on Monday and 3 ventured out and were chased back by the older ones. I have a small hole in the bottom of their box that the little ones can come out of but the bigger ones cannot go in, but instead of going back in, they hide behind the box, so I've covered the hole for now.
They have been in the coop together for a few weeks now and can see each other from the top of the box--I'm thinking being on top is not the same as some suggest since they see them and sit ON their box in a dominating fashion. I'm so nervous to do the night time thing, but am thinking maybe I will uncover the hole and let those who are brave come out during the night. What does everyone think? Good plan or no?

Angie

I doubt the little ones will come out at night.. Can you section off more of the run for the little ones and let them sleep in the box? Probably need to wait a few more weeks for the sizes to be closer.

Back
Top Bottom