nest box, out or in ?

more wood = heavier.

If you build exterior boxes, consider how you're going to predator proof them. And keep the weather out. And if it freezes, how you'll keep the eggs warm enough to not be frozen/broken when you come to collect them. All things to consider with an exterior box.

Quote:
what your saying is true because I have a duplex coop and on the second floor there is 2ft nest box and I've used plywood and shingles for the top and it freezes during the winter. No eggs ever got frozen but the top cap does freezes and sometimes it's impossible to open it. I didn't have any predator inside the nest box to get eggs and I hope I never will ! But it is something to consider. I will be deciding tonight and working on it tomorrow. One good thing about the inside nest boxes is that if I put a door like thing with hinges, I could just open it to get the eggs, that would be cool and if the nest boxes are heavy, I can take them out before moving the coop to it's other location and put the nest box back once the moving is done.
Thank you City Chook, I really forgot about the freezing part.

Back
Top Bottom