9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
cambridge , ny
idunno.gif
,,,ihave had a few peeps and a small pullet sleeping in the nest box----
love.gif
--they are in with the big girls and need the security of being together,,,,
hide.gif
,,,, , and i have read a lot of other post with the hens sleeping in the nest box------started me thinking --what is wrong with that if it makes them happy and secure----?????----i have had 3 hens in one box laying at the same time--why not sleeping--???-in our frigid new winds and tempatures of upper new york , wouldn't it be ok for them to keep warmer --especially in an unheated coop , and the coop is also very well ventilated--- i know if i was in an unheated cabin with someone --i would like to snuggle and keep warm---just wondering ---is their a problem that i should also be aware of---
idunno.gif
--i have only been with this chicken pet hobby thing for only a year and a half ..personally , i think it's cute and my 2 littlest grand kids love it
love.gif

Hello there!

There's really nothing wrong with it, as long as you're OK with it.....The thing with hens sleeping in the nesting boxes is.....They also poo in them, and some people don't like that.....because then the eggs get poopy.

That's really the only problem......
wink.png

Chickens poop where they sleep. Which means one has to spend time cleaning out nest boxes if clean eggs are important to ya.

I really don't mind mine sleeping there. They only do it for a while (mine, anyway). After they actually start laying, they have been roosting "properly" and only use the nest box for laying eggs. There are quite a few youngsters in my yard at any time, so sometimes the eggs I gather have some dried poop on 'em. Easy enough to clean, so it's no big deal to me.

I'm wondering if I was to temporarily lower the height of the roost to below that of the nest boxes, if they would continue to use the roost or eventually move to the perch I have in front of the nest boxes.
My goal would be for them to show interest in the nest boxes because I am yet to see any of them check them out. I have never seen them sitting on the perch to access the nest boxes.
Once I see them nosing around in the nests, then move their roost back up.

Actually, the ROOST bar needs to be higher than the nest boxes. Chickens feel safer up high. The usual solution for sleeping in nest boxes IS to raise the roost bar above the height of the nest box(es).

Since they poop where they sleep, you may end up with very dirty eggs. Other than that, sleeping in the nest box is not a problem.

Quote:
Put as fake egg in the nest box and quit worrying. They will lay when they lay. Getting them to show interest in a nest box will not speed up the process.

If they are in the habit of roosting where you want them to roost, don't mess it up.

I understand the roost must be higher than the nest boxes, and also understand that they'll lay when they're ready....I'm just wondering if it would help for them to explore that area and spend a little time there since I've never seen them around it. They won't even use the nest box perch to access the roost. If I were a chicken, I would.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom