Nest boxes at what age?

Chicky85254

Songster
11 Years
Sep 22, 2008
AZ & CA
My chicks are 10 weeks old now... at what age should I put in nest boxes? If I put them in before they are laying, will they just poop in there?

I put nesting boxes in at about 16 weeks as some early starters could lay then depending on the breed. I line my nesting boxes with a soft indoor outdoor carpet. I bought a lenght about 3 by 6 at wallmart for $6.00. My girls don't poop in there like they use to when I put straw oe wood shavings. They also would get in and root around and kick out most of the shavings so I got some cracked eggs. I take the squares out now and then and wash in my garage sink. I have 2 sets so they will never be without in the nest. Sorry for going on like crazy !!!
tongue.png

They will poop in there. Whether you put the nest boxes in now or later......

I put nest boxes in as soon as I put the chicks in the coop - and I was glad I did. I tried using empty kitty litter pails for nest boxes, and when they were very young, they would get in there and scratch around. But as they got bigger, they stopped, and I knew they were getting too big for them. We built them new nest boxes, but not before one started laying - on the floor. Everyone uses the new nest boxes now, except the one that started out laying on the floor
roll.png

I suggest putting the nest boxes in as soon as you like - and just clean them out when you clean the coop. They probably won't spend too much time in them anyway - but it will give them time to get used to them.

Penny

I have 3 boxes on bricks so just a few inches off the floor. Then I have 3 more on top of those. My girls seem to prefer the ones that are lower.

I installed my nest boxes when the hens were just out of the brooder. They are attached to the wall about 15 inches off the floor, but lower then the roosts with a sloped roof. My hens pretty much ignored the nest boxes until they were getting ready to lay. A few times they tried to jump on top but because of the sloped roof they just slid off.

Back
Top Bottom