Nesting Box Bedding Material Selection (the do's and don'ts)

What do you use in your nesting boxes?

• Total voters

RoosterML

🥇Ukraine 🥇
5 Years
Nov 5, 2018
Tolland County Connecticut, USA
I currently use pine shavings in my nesting boxes. Pine shavings are also used on the flooring of my chicken coop. I am thinking of possibly changing my nesting box bedding over to hay. I always have hay on hand due to my rabbits. I am not really worried about the whole straw(dry) versus hay(wet)debate. Not enough in the nesting boxes for me to believe that potential mold/mildew build up will be an issue. Besides I don't want to have to buy a different product just for nesting boxes. My big concern is the chickens getting impacted crop from eating the hay!!! That's really the only reason why I haven't done the switch over to hay yet. I would also for a couple reasons like to have them trained to laying on hay, for example if I ever need to isolate or move a hen to a different spot she will just look for the little "hay nest" to lay her eggs. I have no issues with them laying in the pine shavings on the floor aside from when they first start to lay and are still figuring the whole where to go lay part. So to those who use hay, have you ever experienced impacted crop? Was the impacted crop due to the consumption of hay? Any good reason not to change over? I'll do alittle poll as to what you all use as nesting box bedding.

I use straw in the nest box and pineshavings on the coop floor
28F85C14-BDDC-4D7E-B9A0-C82FC7CB83BE.jpeg
0762C640-3013-494B-A6EF-BEA619BF0A58.jpeg

If you are already using pine shavings on the floor I don't understand "I don't want to buy a different product just for nesting boxes."
As far as training them to switch location it's more about the box then what's in it. You could put an old towel in the bottom and they would probably still use the box.

I personally use pine shavings. The girls like to scoot it around to make it just right. If there is an accident in the box I can remove just the gross shavings. And when they are beat up and breaking down from use I just dump them on the floor and add new.

It's all personal preference. No right or wrong.

@FlyingNunFarm to the I don't want to buy different materials is in regards to buying straw as appose to using the hay I have. I agree very easy to clean out any mess out of the nest box with pine shavings. Hay also seems more natural to me for the birds.A bunch of spoiled birds that's all. :confused: No real reason for change to be honest just an idea I had.

cgcgccg 018.JPG
I dont think using grass hay will harm your chickens. They will scratch thru the hay for tasty seeds and small leaves, they do not eat the tough stalks and stems.
I use straw in my nest boxes. They love to "arrange it" into a cozy nesting bowl. It contains no seeds or leaves to eat so they dont scratch it and break the eggs.
One bale of straw lasts me about a year for my 5 nest boxes.
In cold michigan winter i buy one bale of alfalffa hay and throw down a small amount on the coop floor every day they can not get outside. They spend hours scratching thru it for the nutricous leaves. All that is left is the toughest stalks when it is done.
i use pine shavings under my roost area.

@FlyingNunFarm to the I don't want to buy different materials is in regards to buying straw as appose to using the hay I have. I agree very easy to clean out any mess out of the nest box with pine shavings. Hay also seems more natural to me for the birds.A bunch of spoiled birds that's all. :confused: No real reason for change to be honest just an idea I had.
Ah. That makes sense! Lost in translation from spoken to written. Or it’s early for my brain. LOL
I read it as you want to use hay you already instead on pine shavings. And was wondering what you would be buying.

Note to self: Coffee before responding.

I used to use pine shavings in the box, but have switched to straw. I found with the pine shavings they'd kick them around and I'd sometimes end up with broken eggs that hit the empty nest box bottom. The straw tends to get packed down a bit and doesn't all get kicked out in the same way (though they certainly try), and broken eggs seem to occur less often. I have both on hand so it's not an issue.

I use Pine shavings. 3-4 " deep. They have to climb over a lip that contains the shavings. I change the shavings every few months and that just gets added to the coop floor. So for me shavings expense is incidental.

I did put a bale of hay in the run last winter. They pecked at it a bit. Climbed on it. I eventually broke it up and it just became part of the deep litter in the run. So no negative impact from using hay. What ever works for you.

My big concern is the chickens getting impacted crop from eating the hay!!!

I cut long grass from areas I don't weed eat or mow, dry it, and use it for bedding in nests. That's the same stuff my Dad used to cut for hay so I consider it equivalent. My chickens have not had impacted crops from that or anything else.

I cut long grass from areas I don't weed eat or mow, dry it, and use it for bedding in nests. That's the same stuff my Dad used to cut for hay so I consider it equivalent. My chickens have not had impacted crops from that or anything else.
Great, I have a full bale of "hay" that my rabbits aren't likeing to much. Looks more like long orchard grass as oppose to hay. It would make nice nesting materials was concerned they may try to eat to much and impact crop.

Back
Top Bottom