Nesting Box Idea...Is it a dumb idea?

Seems like a cool idea to me! As a prototype, you could use what I think is called a doughnut cushion for people who have injured their tailbone.

Just curious, but why do you need a drop and roll box? Is it bc of the design of your coop? How do you keep the eggs from cracking if they roll atop each other? My nest boxes are set up 3 on each side of the enclosed part of the coop, but my coop is a walk in, so we built them flat with liftable tops (that part wasn't my idea and I still don't think the tops are necessary-just more to clean; however the birds love to sit up there even though they have roosts too. I put beds of straw inside mine and the chickens seem very content with them.I love the part about going inside every day, conversing with the flock, praising and thanking them for their gifts of eggs and gathering them. I raised Yorkie and Maltese dogs for 11 years and am quite fluent in dog language. Now guess I'll become fluent in chicken too:)Lol
With tight schedule and less work involve, anything automatic or make it easy would help. As for roll out nest box: 1) it prevent hen from eating the egg. 2) less dirty egg. 3) the eggs roll to one spot and quicker to pick them up. 4) Less worry when you are on vacation for a week.

Speedy2020: I have no idea how much it would cost. (I'm assuming you mean the coop and run) My guess is about 25 USD a sq ft to have it built by someone. It isn't something I am having built it at this time it is just one of many coops I have designed. I designed that yesterday for fun. I would love to have that coop though. designing coops and such is just a hobby for me. I live in Holland at the moment and our home owners association doesn't allow for chicken. I wan't to move back to the US with my husband in the next few years and buy some property where I can have chickens and have a coop built. I want my coop and other out building to all match my house and be built at the same time as the house. You never know what the future holds though so I hope this want turns into a reality only time will tell
Your chicken mansion design is lovely. Maybe you should start a one of a kind chicken mansion building business:) I know this is only a fun hobby for you, but I have one question about this particular mansion. I didn't see the dimension on how tall the runs are, and I'm curious how you would access those runs for cleaning? You are a very creative person. Where do you live in Holland? I have a wonderful artist/author friend in Leiden. Do you know that area? I hope your dreams of moving back to U.S.& having your beautiful "farm" materializes for you:)

Just curious, but why do you need a drop and roll box? Is it bc of the design of your coop? How do you keep the eggs from cracking if they roll atop each other? My nest boxes are set up 3 on each side of the enclosed part of the coop, but my coop is a walk in, so we built them flat with liftable tops (that part wasn't my idea and I still don't think the tops are necessary-just more to clean; however the birds love to sit up there even though they have roosts too. I put beds of straw inside mine and the chickens seem very content with them.I love the part about going inside every day, conversing with the flock, praising and thanking them for their gifts of eggs and gathering them. I raised Yorkie and Maltese dogs for 11 years and am quite fluent in dog language. Now guess I'll become fluent in chicken too:)Lol

That coop actually has nothing to do with the original post about the nest boxes which was just a question to get opinions. The coop design was just showing someone on here something I designed that had nothing to do with the nest boxes in question because he (maybe a she i dont recall now and too lazy too go back and look) had inquired as to what program i used to design with that was all. I have tons of different coops that i design because its relaxing to design them lol. The reason why I would choose roll out boxes is because an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Chickens, at times, get a taste for eating eggs. It doesn't happen a lot but it does happen so I think it makes sense to design in such a way that it would not be an issue at all ahead of time instead of trying to correct the problem if such a problem occurred. As to preventing them from cracking the whole thing would be padded and designed in such a way to limit impact.

I think you should get a small coop with just a chicken or two, so you can see how it works out, and then you will have some experience in what you really would find useful in a larger coop with more chickens. We took in some chickens and made a coop, and now after 6 months and a winter, I see there are some design adjustments I would like to make to keep the coop cleaner with less work.

I've had chickens before so I really don't need a starter coop. I just cant have any chickens now because of the home owners associate of where i live. The nest box idea was just an idea i had that I was curious to get peoples opinions on and the coop shown here on this thread was nothing more than just one of hundreds of coops i have designed. It was just an example i posted to someone who had inquired about the progam i use to design with. Designing chicken mansions is relaxing for me LOL. Some people read, I design coops for fun.

I use a nesting box, works great, but apparently I must have a chicken that likes to break eggs open & eat em ... some days an egg or two is broke open and the content usually devoured. Their coop is sealed tight, so I know it's them, plus I've seen em eat an egg when I've accidentally dropped one. So nesting box is good, just have to get the eggs before they do! And they have plenty to eat :)

That is the very reason why I would a roll out system is something I would like to have. A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I already know that its possible that the chickens might eat the eggs and that of course wouldnt be doing me any favors so better to plan for it ahead of time and take the option out off the equation

Seems like a cool idea to me! As a prototype, you could use what I think is called a doughnut cushion for people who have injured their tailbone.

Thats definitely an option and I'm glad you get the concept. I think a few people on here it flew over their heads. I would use foam and sheer and shape it with an electric carving knife. i was involved in local theater and I made tons of props. Some props were body adjustments like hip pads and we would take foam and contour it to make those hip pads. It wouldnt be difficult for me to make the nest shape after doing that for so many years.

Your chicken mansion design is lovely. Maybe you should start a one of a kind chicken mansion building business:) I know this is only a fun hobby for you, but I have one question about this particular mansion. I didn't see the dimension on how tall the runs are, and I'm curious how you would access those runs for cleaning? You are a very creative person. Where do you live in Holland? I have a wonderful artist/author friend in Leiden. Do you know that area? I hope your dreams of moving back to U.S.& having your beautiful "farm" materializes for you:)
Thank you very much. The run is 8 ft tall and is accessible by going through the front door of the coop through the front storage area which leads into the center aisle where the actual coops are and if you look again at the design you will see that there is another door that leads to a secondary storage area that has a door that leads into the run. so basically its a straight shot through. I prefer for the run to only be accessible through the building which would have a traditional door and key lock. This is only one design of many i've made though. I've made others where i deviated from what my stated preference is. I'd love a job designing chicken mansions but I don't imagine there is much money in them. I live in Amsterdam and yes I know leiden its not far from me at all. I certainly hope I get to move back to the US too. I'm terribly tired of living in Europe lol. You don't really understand or appreciate the convenience America offers until you have to go without it for a long time.

I've had chickens before so I really don't need a starter coop. I just cant have any chickens now because of the home owners associate of where i live. The nest box idea was just an idea i had that I was curious to get peoples opinions on and the coop shown here on this thread was nothing more than just one of hundreds of coops i have designed. It was just an example i posted to someone who had inquired about the progam i use to design with. Designing chicken mansions is relaxing for me LOL. Some people read, I design coops for fun.
The one you posted is awesome. You could sell your designs if you could make construction directions/blueprints.

Back
Top Bottom