Nesting Box Poops!

Chicken Man Can

Chirping
Nov 27, 2022
A-frame coop and run. It has a second story loft area connected to two nesting boxes, that they do use when laying eggs. Issue is the two boss chickens also sleep in them, so they get dirty with night poops. My idea was to relocate nesting boxes to the floor so they don't sleep in them. My concern is though, that they will lay eggs on the loft still, in absence of the boxes being up there. I know you can simply block off the nests every evening, but that is one more chore that we might forget to do. Thoughts ideas?

IMG_0555.JPG
IMG_0554.JPG

I would remove the loft, which is only serving to divide the space oddly, add some roosts, and definitely move the nests down low.

I kinda feel like this whole setup wasn't designed with chicken keeping experience guiding any of the planning decisions. There's a coop way back in the woods of our yard left by the previous people that we just won't use because it's so non-functional.

You could try to remedy yours or you could move on to a new design.

I would remove the loft, which is only serving to divide the space oddly, add some roosts, and definitely move the nests down low.

I kinda feel like this whole setup wasn't designed with chicken keeping experience guiding any of the planning decisions. There's a coop way back in the woods of our yard left by the previous people that we just won't use because it's so non-functional.

You could try to remedy yours or you could move on to a new design.
You are right, I did not have chicken keeping experience when it comes to coops. The nests will be a pain to move though, and will leave a hole that I would have to then board up. I will consider this option, otherwise it's blocking the boxes off at night.

They are roosting in the loft because it is the highest point. If you put a roost in there (I have a basic sawhorse design) and close the nest boxes for a few nights they will probably habituate to the roost.
That was actually the point of the loft, though I didn't think they would sleep in the boxes.

A-frame coop and run. It has a second story loft area connected to two nesting boxes, that they do use when laying eggs. Issue is the two boss chickens also sleep in them, so they get dirty with night poops. My idea was to relocate nesting boxes to the floor so they don't sleep in them. My concern is though, that they will lay eggs on the loft still, in absence of the boxes being up there. I know you can simply block off the nests every evening, but that is one more chore that we might forget to do. Thoughts ideas?

Back
Top Bottom