nesting box question

bella253

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2016
Northeast Pennsylvania
I have 11 pullets, my coop is 4 1/2 x 6 1/2 how many nesting boxes should we have?

Thanks
Lori
smile.png

they the chicken experts say 3 to 5 hens per nest box. I cheated with mine and put hard boiled eggs in the nests (make sure to make them) so that my "girls" could get the hint. Best of luck and welcome to BYC

You have a coop of 24 square foot. Most people will tell you that 6 is the max number of chickens you will want in a coop that size. If they will be able to free range a lot then they could be OK. If they are going to be confined you could have some issues with 11 birds in a coop that size.

You have a coop of 24 square foot.  Most people will tell you that 6 is the max number of chickens you will want in a coop that size. If they will be able to free range a lot then they could be OK.  If they are going to be confined you could have some issues with 11 birds in a coop that size.

Ditto that ^^^^

Where will they go in bad weather even if you free range? FWIW, I have 6 chickens in a coop twice that size, at the most I'd add 2 or 3.

We have 3 nesting boxes, they use 2 of them.

Back
Top Bottom