Nesting box size for Buff Orpingtons and Araucanas... and how many?

yorick

Chirping
10 Years
Nov 26, 2009
Question from a newbie: What is a good size nesting box for Buff Orpingtons and Araucanas?

I've read the FAQ on nesting boxes and also the info at https://www.backyardchickens.com/coops/nestingbox.html.

It
recommends 12x12x12 "is adequate, but building bigger is usually a good idea". We started raising two Buff Orpingtons and two Araucanas.

Do you guys think I should build a larger or smaller nesting box? If larger, how much larger?

Also, how many nesting boxes should we have in the coop. We are starting with four chicks but I'm building the coop and run to support up to 8.

3 nest boxes should do it, 15"x15"x15" and about a foot off the ground, preferably with a perch in front.

cool.png

Last edited:
I use milk crates for my nest boxes. I fill them about halfway up with hay or wood shavings and the girls love them. I use mine for everything from silkies to huge welsummers (including some buff orps). Milk crates are great because you can take them out to clean them as needed. Plus they are cheap and easy to find.

For 4 hens you might put a couple in there. Rest assured though that no matter how many you have in there they will all want to use the exact same box as all the others. The box may change from day to day, but they for some reason will always want to lay on top of each other.

I think you should do one large nesting box or plastic storage comtainer, that is big enought to hold 2-3 hens at a time if they want. I 've found out, and heard from lots of other people, that hens all like to lay in the same nest or which ever on already has eggs in it. I have 4 boxes for 10 hens and all lay in the same box, so I am just going to be useing a plastic storage container it the fuuture. they're easy to clean, won't rot, and I can move it if I have a broody and replace it with another.

I also have 4 buff orps. In my coop, I didn't have room for 2 boxes, side by side, at 12" each, so I made one long box of 22 inches. Kind of like a trough. I repurposed it out of an old drawer. They share it with no squabbles. Works great.

IMG_3008.jpg

Great milk carton idea. I am going to try and re-purpose some upper kitchen cabinets and use the door opening on the back side to reach in and get the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom