Nesting boxes

We are in the coop building process with nesting boxes accessible from the outside.I am considering using dish pans or litter pans in the nest boxes for easier cleaning. My husband says they'll knock them over. Has anyone experience with this concept?

We are in the coop building process with nesting boxes accessible from the outside.I am considering using dish pans or litter pans in the nest boxes for easier cleaning. My husband says they'll knock them over. Has anyone experience with this concept?
Here's what we did -- I love my dish pans nest boxes. They are so easy to clean. I just pop them out and dump. I like to use wood chips also in their nest boxes with some DE sprinkled in.

I love that idea! Thank you for the inspiration! Love the color, too!!
Thanks -- we built this last spring and I love it. It's working really well and I learned so much from BYC. Of course this is before we moved the chickens in. The roosting bars work great all being the sample level. And I love Sweet PDZ under the roosting bars.That makes life so much easier.

Inside coop. Sometimes chickens lay very early, or do your chickens always have access to the run? My coop has an electric door that opens on a timer to let them out into the run.

Never had a knock over with my litter boxes... I suppose if you used an open dish pan that wasn't confined somehow they might tip it over though, but if you drop them into a frame like above or even something similar you should not have any issues...

As said above, I love them being able to be taken out and easily cleaned, a power washer makes quick work of cleaning them all back to shinny in no time once removed from the coop...

I figured as much... never seen a coop that clean with chickens living in it! Lol. I had the same thought about the roosts at one height to discourage pecking and a poop board with PDZ for easy cleanup. How many chickens do you have?

I figured as much... never seen a coop that clean with chickens living in it! Lol. I had the same thought about the roosts at one height to discourage pecking and a poop board with PDZ for easy cleanup. How many chickens do you have?

Not sure who you are asking -- but I have 20 chickens. 8 older girls and we just got 12 chicks this summer. They are 2 1/2 months old now. My pictures are just after we finished building last spring before the girls got in there. My coop is 8'x10'. :love

Not sure who you are asking -- but I have 20 chickens. 8 older girls and we just got 12 chicks this summer. They are 2 1/2 months old now. My pictures are just after we finished building last spring before the girls got in there. My coop is 8'x10'. :love

If you were asking me, at the time of that photo about 75 mixed birds (chickens, guinea and peafowl) in the coop now there are over 100 in there...

Back
Top Bottom