Nesting boxes

Dom G

Songster
Jan 24, 2023
Strongsville, OH
Hello all, my one hen seems stressed she doesn’t know where to lay her eggs. I’ve found her eggs outside in the yard and random spots in the coop. I just made her a nesting box, and have other nesting boxes in the coop as well. Any tips/ideas?

Put a few fake eggs in the nesting boxes, then keep her locked in the coop for a few days so the only place she has to lay is in the nesting box. After you let her back out she'll continue to go back to the nesting box, because that's where she will have learned to lay the eggs.

Hello all, my one hen seems stressed she doesn’t know where to lay her eggs. I’ve found her eggs outside in the yard and random spots in the coop. I just made her a nesting box, and have other nesting boxes in the coop as well. Any tips/ideas?
Do your other hens lay in the nests?
Has this hen ever used the nests?
How many layers and how many nests?

Im having the same problem. My 4 girls have shared 2 nesting boxes for almost 2 years. No problems. But...I added 2 hens who are just starting to lay and now I'm finding eggs everywhere but mostly on the ground. This morning I found 2 on the ground in totally separate places and 2 in one nest. My Delaware white laid her first egg yesterday and she was in the nest next to the 2 eggs. Not wanting to disturb her I left the 2 eggs where they were. When I went back a bit later to collect them, I saw her out of the nest, one egg of the 2 was broken. But I did get her 2nd tiny egg from the other nest.! She is so big she barely fits in that nest!

Does anyone recommended a particular brand or style of nesting boxes? I figured adding 3 would be smart. Then I need to figure out where to put them.

Last edited:
Im having the same problem. My 4 girls have shared 2 nesting boxes for almost 2 years. No problems. But...I added 2 hens who are just starting to lay and now I'm finding eggs everywhere but mostly on the ground. This morning I found 2 on the ground in totally separate places and 2 in one nest. My Delaware white laid her first egg yesterday and she was in the nest next to the 2 eggs. Not wanting to disturb her I left the 2 eggs where they were. When I went back a bit later to collect them, I saw her out of the nest, one egg of the 2 was broken. But I did get her 2nd tiny egg from the other nest.! She is so big she barely fits in that nest!

Does anyone recommended a particular brand or style of nesting boxes? I figured adding 3 would be smart. Then I need to figure out where to put them.
I have 4 hens and one Rooster. Mine aren't free range either. I have 4 nesting boxes. All 4 hens lay and they all 4 lay in the same one. I didn't realize they would do that. I did have a member on here tell me that it's OK to have 4 hens to every box. I just didn't know that they knew that.. 🤣🤣 good luck with your chickies. 🐓🐤🐥
👣👣🦀🦞

Back
Top Bottom