Nesting boxes

Bawkmeow

Chirping
Premium Feather Member
May 6, 2021
I went to build my own nesting boxes. I have always heard a 12x12 cube is best. I went to build my first box (single boxes) I used a 1x12 and cut at every 12 inches and assembled the box. After I assembled it ran through my mind a 1x12 is not 12". So my question is when they say 12x12 cube is that the measurement inside measurements? Outside measurements? or can I use a my 1x12's. Making the inside 11 1/4 Thank you

It doesn't matter, the 11-1/4" will work. The hens are not going to borrow a tape measure from you to check out the size. Growing up on the farm I saw hens make a nest in some areas so small many people on this forum would not believe it. I once used a cat litter bucket as a nest, the top was 7-1/2" x 11-1/2". Hens the size of Australorp, Delaware, or Sussex laid in it.

Many of the numbers you see on here are not what is "best" or minimum requirements, they are general guidelines. People starting out don't have the experience to know what size to make things or what numbers to use. I'm talking about nest size, coop space, run spaced, roost length, number of eggs to put under a broody hen, practically anything that involves numbers. You can see some really strange numbers on this forum, but most of the numbers that are generally agreed upon are large enough to keep most people out of trouble most of the time in almost any circumstances without being extravagant overkill and overly expensive.

The 12x12 nest box is that way. Practically any chicken can lay in it, even a huge Jersey Giant, especially if the top is open. It is obviously bigger than it has to be for a bantam or even a smaller full-sized fowl like a Leghorn.

So do not worry about your nest, they will work fine.

People are fussier about this than the chickens are. :) I have birds regularly laying in little places where I've leaned a piece of metal against a wall to offer cover to birds in the integration process and ignoring places where I've made a nest that *ought* to have been attractive. 🤷‍♀️

If the prospective nest seems secure to the hen -- dim, quiet, well-bedded, etc. -- she's not going to measure it.

Many of the numbers you see on here are not what is "best" or minimum requirements, they are general guidelines. People starting out don't have the experience to know what size to make things or what numbers to use.

This is key information. Guidelines are useful, and I quote them often, but they are not hard-and-fast RULES. :)

Back
Top Bottom