Thoughts on using this as nesting boxes

free range by day

Songster
5 Years
Jan 2, 2019
I picked up this wood shelf off the side of the road being thrown out. Do you think it can be used for the hens nesting boxes? We are in the process of building coop and planned to make the egg boxes but if I can save money using this it would be great.

Each shelf is 11 1/4 inch tall, 11 inches deep, and 21 inches long.

I was hoping to put dividers in the center of each to get 8 nesting boxes but that would only give them 10 1/2 long.

First of all would 11” tall and deep be big enough? If so how about the 11 1/2 width?

Any other thoughts on repurposing this into nesting boxes? Laying on its side? Anything?

Attachments

• BA2B3BE7-8158-4BE4-A299-0E50A08BEEED.jpeg
    BA2B3BE7-8158-4BE4-A299-0E50A08BEEED.jpeg
    515.6 KB · Views: 49
I think it could work, with edging to hold the nest material in. Are they standard size hens or bantams? Also, no need for dividers, hens often like to squeeze in and share a box, in this case, a shelf…
Great! Yes, I would add edges to the front. Right now I have standard size chickens. Australorps, RIR,s Barred Rocks, and a few other Sexlinks the same size as the others.

I went out and measured ours. Some are plastic milk crates which are 12X12x12. But the wooden crate they like is also 12” deep, 12” high. It’s 24” long. So you’ll have to see if the shelf is big enuf for your large hens. Also, they need to stand up to let the egg out.
Maybe other peeps will join in on advising you on this project.

Last edited:
I think it could be a great use. I grew up on a farm where chickens sometimes hid nests in the hay barn and other places. Many people would be amazed at some of the tight places some hens hid nests. With your breeds I don't see any issues with space.

A standard recommendation for a minimum nest size is 12" x 12" x 12" but that takes no consideration of your breeds. Those can handle anything from a tiny Serama to a Jersey Giant. You are close enough that you should not have any issues whether you put a vertical partition in some or all of those levels or not.

It is true that a hen raises up a bit when she lays an egg. The egg comes out of the same opening the poop comes out of. When she lays the egg the egg-laying side of that plumbing extends out of the vent a very small amount to seal it off from the poop side. She needs to raise up enough to keep from getting trash and bedding on that exposed bit. It doesn't take much so even by the time you add bedding in there she should have plenty of room.

If I were doing it I'd have the board across the bottom to hold the bedding in about 3-1/2" to 4" high. Thats high enough to keep enough bedding in so she is not laying the egg on the bare wooden floor of the nest and give her plenty of room to raise up and to get into the nest through that 7"opening into the nest. I'd want at least a 3/4" thick board so she can fly up and land on the edge and then step into the nest.

I think it is a great find. Good luck with it!

If used upright as shown you should create a set of ramps to access the higher levels, not expect your hens to always fly up to that height to lay, IMHO. You could turn the unit on its back, then cut some U-shaped entrances into each of the spaces. This could then be placed underneath a poop board along the "long" side of your coop. Nice-looking pieces of wood on that shelf;)

I think it could be a great use. I grew up on a farm where chickens sometimes hid nests in the hay barn and other places. Many people would be amazed at some of the tight places some hens hid nests. With your breeds I don't see any issues with space.

A standard recommendation for a minimum nest size is 12" x 12" x 12" but that takes no consideration of your breeds. Those can handle anything from a tiny Serama to a Jersey Giant. You are close enough that you should not have any issues whether you put a vertical partition in some or all of those levels or not.

It is true that a hen raises up a bit when she lays an egg. The egg comes out of the same opening the poop comes out of. When she lays the egg the egg-laying side of that plumbing extends out of the vent a very small amount to seal it off from the poop side. She needs to raise up enough to keep from getting trash and bedding on that exposed bit. It doesn't take much so even by the time you add bedding in there she should have plenty of room.

If I were doing it I'd have the board across the bottom to hold the bedding in about 3-1/2" to 4" high. Thats high enough to keep enough bedding in so she is not laying the egg on the bare wooden floor of the nest and give her plenty of room to raise up and to get into the nest through that 7"opening into the nest. I'd want at least a 3/4" thick board so she can fly up and land on the edge and then step into the nest.

I think it is a great find. Good luck with it!
Thank you!

Here is an update on how I used the shelf for nesting boxes. I layed it on its side and knocked out the back to get more depth . I also put it in an old plastic container not being used anymore to keep the wood from the shelf from getting wet and ruined since it’s in an open air coop.

Attachments

• 27A2E6EC-71F9-4F3C-974A-A51250C0D788.jpeg
    27A2E6EC-71F9-4F3C-974A-A51250C0D788.jpeg
    890 KB · Views: 12
  • DD98E075-1E9D-4E96-83A4-DBFC98CFF1FD.jpeg
    DD98E075-1E9D-4E96-83A4-DBFC98CFF1FD.jpeg
    594.6 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom