Roost and Nesting Box placement

Jan 7, 2024
Island of Hawaii
My Coop
My Coop
Happy Sunday all-
I am running my brain ragged trying to figure out my build for aviary style coop I am working on. The coop and run are one and the same, with the entire area being roofed but otherwise open since my location is hot and humid (Puna, Hawaii). Some others in the area have literal two sided upside down V huts for chickens and it seems to work fine. I am working with a geodesic dome with a pentagon footprint and want to fit the nesting/roosting area into a nice looking spot. I have provided a top down diagram of the space.
1707687278626.png

Where I am stuck and really would appreciate input:
  • Should I have the nesting boxes centered along the yellow line and then have the roosting bars go from the top of the boxes to the sloped walls of the exterior?
  • If I centered the boxes, is there a worry of separate roosting zones, or is that a boon?
  • If I put the nesting boxes as the 3' triangles, would that be enough space for hens?
    • We are looking to get Ameraucana sized birds, though we might go as large as Orpingtons in the future.
    • Our flock will be approximately 6 chickens, including a roo.
  • I have seen a rule of thumb on boxes being 1'x1'x1'. Does anyone have experience with triangular nesting boxes? Are there issues with this?
  • Should the roosting bars be drastically higher than the nesting boxes, or would having them at the height of the top of the boxes be alright?
The rest of the area of the dome will have another shelf for variety and roosts. Should I have them at all the same level, or could I have them at varied heights without worry of creating drama for our future pecking order?

I realize I am working with much harder maths and issues with the shape I have chosen. I chose it because it was interesting and a puzzle (maybe too tough for my liking now)!

Mahalo for your time!

Is this a view from the side or from above?
Separate roosting zones is a boon.
I wouldn’t think they’d mind triangular, I’ve had them nest in round, square, rectangular and oval nests tho.
I think roosts the height of the top of boxes would be okay. Are the boxes open in front or from above?

Is this a view from the side or from above?
Separate roosting zones is a boon.
I wouldn’t think they’d mind triangular, I’ve had them nest in round, square, rectangular and oval nests tho.
I think roosts the height of the top of boxes would be okay. Are the boxes open in front or from above?
The diagram is from above and would be approximately 40 inches off the ground.
I wasn't sure where I was going to put the opening yet. Part of me thinks it would be easiest to have them open to the center bottom of the diagram, with a 12 inch ledge in front of them to facilitate foot traffic.

• Should I have the nesting boxes centered along the yellow line and then have the roosting bars go from the top of the boxes to the sloped walls of the exterior?
That should work. I think you are more likely to care than the chickens - can you move around inside if it is a walk-in coop or reach things easily if it isn't. Maybe built the roosts and nest bank in such a way that you can move them without too much trouble. Just in case you see a way you like better as you live with it.
  • If I centered the boxes, is there a worry of separate roosting zones, or is that a boon?
Could be either depending on the dynamics of your i dividuals.
  • If I put the nesting boxes as the 3' triangles, would that be enough space for hens?
    • We are looking to get Ameraucana sized birds, though we might go as large as Orpingtons in the future.
    • Our flock will be approximately 6 chickens, including a roo.
I think so.
  • I have seen a rule of thumb on boxes being 1'x1'x1'. Does anyone have experience with triangular nesting boxes? Are there issues with this?
They will not care what shape the nest space is.

Mine are rectangular but they preferred a triangular space behind some branches I left leaning against the wall. I've seen pictures of eggs in nests of all shapes, including triangular.
  • Should the roosting bars be drastically higher than the nesting boxes, or would having them at the height of the top of the boxes be alright?
I would make the roosts a little higher if it isn't too hard. Unless they can't get on top of the nest boxes.
The rest of the area of the dome will have another shelf for variety and roosts. Should I have them at all the same level, or could I have them at varied heights without worry of creating drama for our future pecking order?
Either could work. I have several levels and they all flow around on and under all of them without drama except no one likes going under the lowest platform. It may be different if they are more crowded or for different individuals.

That should work. I think you are more likely to care than the chickens - can you move around inside if it is a walk-in coop or reach things easily if it isn't. Maybe built the roosts and nest bank in such a way that you can move them without too much trouble. Just in case you see a way you like better as you live with it.

Could be either depending on the dynamics of your i dividuals.

I think so.

They will not care what shape the nest space is.

Mine are rectangular but they preferred a triangular space behind some branches I left leaning against the wall. I've seen pictures of eggs in nests of all shapes, including triangular.

I would make the roosts a little higher if it isn't too hard. Unless they can't get on top of the nest boxes.

Either could work. I have several levels and they all flow around on and under all of them without drama except no one likes going under the lowest platform. It may be different if they are more crowded or for different individuals.
Thank you for all of your answers. I likely will have the "lowest roost" be a swing, so its more fun but also adds the prestige to the other coops of having one lower. :D

Back
Top Bottom