nesting material, and other questions

RareFeathers

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 24, 2010
Tamworth, NSW
i was wondering if you can use pine shavings as a nesting material for pigeons...
i know straw is preferred, but straw here is a rare commodity, and if i can get some, it's very pricy, to say the least. i was also wondering if they would nest off the ground. mine currently live with my chickens, so i definately cannot have the bowl on the ground. i can get a bowl from a pet shop which i can hook onto some wire next to where the pigeons perch. but i' not sure if they'll nest in it.
thanks!
james

Is "here" new south wales? You can put the shavings in the nest and they will use it. Also you can pick some tall grass and put it on the floor of the coop so they can carry it to there nest. most pigeons will nest off the ground, but some will build nest on the ground. From my experience if they start to nest on the ground they will always. I've been told that birds that were hatched on the ground will nest on the ground when they mature. Although I don't know if that's true.

I have always used the longer pine needles, like from white pine. The needles keep the bugs and mites out and the birds loved it. It will give your loft a piney smell also. Give it a try I loved useing them and they are clean to work with.
wink.png

Shavings makes a nice bedding for the nests but they still like to build on top of it. Pine needles (the long ones, preferably) are the best nesting material to build with.

Back
Top Bottom