Nesting material?

robopetz

Songster
7 Years
Oct 11, 2012
Hawaii
What type of nesting material is best for button quails? I have them in pine shavings and they try to make nests out of that but it doesn't stay in a formed nest. I am about to get a dozen coturnix eggs to hatch and already have chicken and button eggs in the bator. So there will be no more room for anymore eggs. Now would be the best time to encourage my hens to go broody. They sit on them here and there. So what's the best material to provide? Any other tips or anything to get them broody?

If the hen goes broody, and she will but may not sit tight enough to hatch you will be lucky. that said I add timothy hay or dry grass to the cage when she starts getting puffy, you can tell from her breast that she is getting broody. My male/roo also sits.

Oh perfect! I happen to have Timothy hay too. Thanks. So does yours hatch them selves? I have heard its rare but still possible.

not a hatch ... yet but its okay with me i like just my one pair. i did incubate eggs last year and it was fun but it also was a bit of work...I might do it again this spring but not sure.

not a hatch ... yet but its okay with me i like just my one pair. i did incubate eggs last year and it was fun but it also was a bit of work...I might do it again this spring but not sure.

I love to hatch, it's so much fun and exciting lol. My female will sit there for maybe 1-2 mins and then just walk off. The male of the group have sit on them too but for 1-2 mind as well.

Back
Top Bottom