Netting above run sufficient?

HennyPenny44

Songster
5 Years
Apr 3, 2019
Central New Jersey
At my suburban home, I had a safe and secure coop with an enclosed run. I decided to add on a not so secure welded wire 4 foot tall fence over which I cross crossed some string to prevent hawk attacks. No chickens were killed in all that time and I feel very fortunate. That coop had to be taken down when we moved rurally late last year and the ladies now live in a chicken tractor that I’ve wrapped in plastic, and an electric fence run with heavy duty bird netting over everything.

But my girls need a more permanent structure for next winter. We lucked out and got barely any snow this winter but we can get feet of snow most years. The hawks visit every day hoping for a snack but the net deters them. A fox tried to sneak up on them but I scared him away. At my old house, a fox climbed into the 4 foot welded wire fence and quickly climbed out when I scared him away. Luckily, my girls were safe and secure in their coop.

All this leads to me wondering what is the best way to build their run. Can I just put netting over it like lots of people on YouTube do or should I make it all hardware cloth like paranoid me wants to do? If a fox can climb a non-electrified 4 foot fence easily, won’t it be able to rip through netting on the top of a run? Also, I was informed by the owner of a local feed store that a weasel decimated his chicken flock one year so he got a dog run with hardware cloth the first 3 feet up, and welded wire on top and on the floor. He said he doesn’t need the hardware cloth all the way up. His coop and run are by a river and he said weasels live in that river. I’m closeby to a river so I worry about weasels now. Can they really not climb very high and then squeeze through holes larger than 1/2”? I would think they’re quite agile. And if I just do a bird netting top, I bet they could easily squeeze through that. So many questions! Thanks in advance for all replies!

During the day strong netting (like the 1” netting from pinnon hatch farms) can be a good deterrent for ground predators especially if the run is 6ft+ in height. My run is 6ft tall with 1/2” hardware cloth sides and it had the strong netting over it and nothing ever got in (I have hawks, eagles, bobcats, mountain lions, coyotes, raccoons, dogs, etc). I always have my cattle dog shepherd mix out in the day too and she’s chased daytime coyotes away from the run so that helps. I did end up switching it to 1” hardware cloth because I wanted to be able to leave the chickens for a day or two if needed or not have to worry about getting home before dark sometimes (still shut my coop up). I personally wouldn’t trust just the netting at night since a raccoon could chew through it and get the chickens if the coop wasn’t closed up. Not sure how well a coyote or fox could rip into it if it was able to leap over. Hopefully more people chime in with their experiences as well. I couldn’t say much about weasels since we only have the large long tailed ones and nobody in my area has had any issues with them (many people only have 2”x4” welded wire).

During the day strong netting (like the 1” netting from pinnon hatch farms) can be a good deterrent for ground predators especially if the run is 6ft+ in height. My run is 6ft tall with 1/2” hardware cloth sides and it had the strong netting over it and nothing ever got in (I have hawks, eagles, bobcats, mountain lions, coyotes, raccoons, dogs, etc). I always have my cattle dog shepherd mix out in the day too and she’s chased daytime coyotes away from the run so that helps. I did end up switching it to 1” hardware cloth because I wanted to be able to leave the chickens for a day or two if needed or not have to worry about getting home before dark sometimes (still shut my coop up). I personally wouldn’t trust just the netting at night since a raccoon could chew through it and get the chickens if the coop wasn’t closed up. Not sure how well a coyote or fox could rip into it if it was able to leap over. Hopefully more people chime in with their experiences as well. I couldn’t say much about weasels since we only have the large long tailed ones and nobody in my area has had any issues with them (many people only have 2”x4” welded wire).
Thanks for all the advice! It sounds like you have a great setup. I hope to one day get some kind of guardian dog but I can’t right now. Multiple lines of defense are the way to go I think. There’s times I’ve forgotten to close a coop door or turn on an electric fence. Although it’s pricey, I think I’ll need to invest in more hardware cloth.

Just make sure whatever you do, I withstands snow load. Someone a few miles from me is constantly fixing there netting after it snows. The last storm we had really took it's toll on it and everything was on the ground.
Yes, I have heavy bird netting and when it gets wet and freezes, it really gets weighed down. I have yet to figure out how to construct the supports though.

Thanks for all the advice! It sounds like you have a great setup. I hope to one day get some kind of guardian dog but I can’t right now. Multiple lines of defense are the way to go I think. There’s times I’ve forgotten to close a coop door or turn on an electric fence. Although it’s pricey, I think I’ll need to invest in more hardware cloth.
Since it snows where you live I would not go with a 1/2” hardware cloth top because it’s really hard to get it to not build up on the top. The 1” allows the snow to fall through better and it’s easier to knock off. We just got a foot and half of snow and I have a little section of 1/2” hardware cloth on the top (just because it was a scrap piece) and the rest is the 1”. The snow got through the 1” but the 1/2” I couldn’t get any to fall through it even with hitting it with the back side of a rake lol.

Here’s a picture of how I made supports in my run for the hardware cloth top. I attached it with screws and washers.
6C88B3FD-E5AF-4023-922D-B45A36A070E5.jpeg

01D62143-482F-4782-BC2F-683C9989E531.jpeg

Just make sure whatever you do, I withstands snow load. Someone a few miles from me is constantly fixing there netting after it snows. The last storm we had really took it's toll on it and everything was on the ground.
Your neighbor sounds like me. We have bird netting over our exterior run. The snow is constantly ripping the net and I have to go out and fix by using more zip ties :barnie. An expanded run is on the to do list for this spring, so hopefully next snow season will need less run repairs.

Back
Top Bottom