Netting for over a large run

Sort of seriously thinking along the same lines for overhead netting. Getting more chicks this months. Over the years we have had quite a few chickens and it seems its more of raccoon/yote/fox issue than hawks but there has been a few of them also over the years. I plan to put out couple a scarecrows, plastic crow decoys, and we plan to leave the our dog outside this year when the weather is nice. We live in a pretty rural area surrounded but COE land. I last year we invested in several trail cams so I could specifically try to see what predators are coming around and then aggressively target them...legally of course...yes I know raptors are protected. Our chickens free range on our land so that makes it tough to get good solid protection but I do have most of the thick trees and vegetation cut back from the house about 60-70 yds, makes it much easier at night to spot the predators that are creeping around the coop.

This is for Pittsburgh. These tarps are sold all over the place.

TARPS - HEAVY DUTY OLD BILLBOARD FACES
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mat/5973049044.html
=====================================

I don't know if it has been mentioned. But how about used netting from a golf driving range?

I also bought a firm wall fiberglass above ground pool one year. Cut side walls to fit and used them to roof a 6 x 15 run. I did build a slight sloped roof structure so the rain and snow would slide off the roof. Worked great. Sell the hoses and pool pump to pay for the pool sides and lining.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
I have netting over all of my pens. I had an owl get into my open coops and kill some birds. Since I have covered all of the pens, so far none have gotten in. This is an older picture. It may not be neat but it wasn't easy putting a 200' net over all of the pens myself. The trees have all grown through the netting in the pens.

Hey everyone. Thought you might like to see the progress we are making. First there was one little house, today we moved in the other one. The 4 hedge posts are in place and just as dark came we got in one section of fence.

You have said 3T fencing is best. What I need to know now is where is the best place to get it. I looked on line and the costs vary so much so wanted your advice..... Thanks so much. I'm exhausted! Also ordered a second solar paneled chicken door as a reward for getting so much done in the last few days. Rock and Roll!!

Oh yes and the chickens and ducks also have a new ramp to get into the chicken house. It looks great!

Last edited:
Please excuse my ignorance but what is 3T fencing. I use chicken wire for the perimeter and welded wire in between the pens. I also have electric wire around the perimeter of the pens.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is 3T fencing. I use chicken wire for the perimeter and welded wire in between the pens. I also have electric wire around the perimeter of the pens.
We are here to help you out.
caf.gif
It is not fencing but netting. I am including a link to where you can buy it. It is a strong netting compared to bird netting.

https://www.qcsupply.com/93345-phea...m=1100310941973&utm_content=Products Ad Group

BTW your fencing with the ELECTRIC PERSUASION.
gig.gif
is EXCELLENT.!!!!

Check ebay. I bought a 150' x 50' for $125.00. I put a bid in for a max bid of $125. I checked just before the bidding ended. I won the bid. I already had 50' x 50' piece and some 10' x 150' I was able to cover all of my pens. We have some blueberries we put a frame around them and had 2" mesh over them. The birds got through and was eating the berries as they ripened so we bought some 1" mesh to put over the blueberries and I used the 2" mesh over some of my pens.

Back
Top Bottom