Netting for over a large run

PureFreeRanger

Hatching
Feb 14, 2017
Hello.

We have about 40 chickens and are currently building a very large run.
Any advice on the netting to have across the top to prevent overhead predators?

Thank you.

First
welcome-byc.gif

Now we would need to know the size of your run. 40 hens is not a size.
gig.gif

You may look into swimming pool leaf covers. It is netting and not break the bank expensive. If you use chicken wire, it has the disadvantage of being kind of heavy and needs some support in the center. The netting is good enough to keep hawks and other aerial raptors away. It is not sufficient to keep out raccoons.
WISHING YOU BEST....
thumbsup.gif

This is a timely thread as I am currently working on that every thing ... with some minor setbacks . My run is 24 x 32 , not sure if that's a large run in the chicken world but is proving to be a challenge to cover !

Had originally designed a 1"1/2 PVC frame to support my mesh but that turned out to be a disaster SO was trying to avoid digging in a support post in the middle of the run but started the hole this evening and going back to what I know will work WOOD . Once I get my supports up I found some deer fencing 8 foot wide in a 100 foot roll .... about the most cost effective material I came across.

I researched what some of the game bird guys do ( pheasant farms ) and they have great systems but with big price tags.

CaveManRich I hear you! Sorry for such vague sizes!

It is going to be 50 feet by 75 feet with the chicken house out in the middle so that could act as a partial support.

We are in Missouri so the main threats would be raccoons, hawks, coyotes and owls (sometimes our ducks don't go in...they like to party in the rain)

We are using horse fence for the sides. Which is 2 x 4 inch squares and 5 feet tall.

Thoughts now on best cover?

Thank you everyone and Mr Pink glad this is helping you too.

wee.gif

I'm definitely interested in ideas from this thread as we've discussed a larger "run" area as well. We also have coyotes that circumvent the electric fence at times. Is there a way that won't break the bank to predator-proof aerial and ground dangers over large areas?

We used that bird netting over our run and it has worked very well for about a year now. For me, the only downside is that it catches leaves pretty easily and you have to try to bounce them over the edge. When it gets slack, we just go out and staple it back taut.

The only predator that has attempted to get in it was a snake! And he got his head through and got stuck and died. Had to cut a piece out to extract him, but was able to "sew" in a patch.

Edit to add: We have electric fence lower to ground, so the netting is only keeping chickens in and hawks out (and snakes, apparently).

Last edited:
Yes! That bird netting is death on snakes...they weave through it and get tangled and the netting starts to cut off their blood supply. Same thing with deterring birds....they don't like getting their claws tangled in that fine netting, so they avoid it. The heavier deer netting doesn't seem to catch as many snakes as the bird netting but will on occasion do so.

I got the 2" extra heavy duty netting through pinnon hatch farms ebay listing. They sell it on their website but you can get smaller sizes through their ebay listings. It was not the cheapest but its also very strong and resistant to water, mildew, and UV damage. The 2" size means that snow doesn't build up on it and any leaves that fall on it are easy to pull through if they get caught on the netting.

Back
Top Bottom