New 2 Turkeys, Narragansett x Buff Turkeys - New Pictures Added

SGM

Songster
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
Easley, SC
I'm getting my first 4 turkey poults this coming weekend. They're from a late June hatch. Right now they're 2 weeks old. She has Narragansetts and Buffs and was experimenting with color a little on these. Here's a picture.
TurkeyPoults-resized.jpg

I was just curious what they may look like mature. I have raised many chicks, some guineas and ducklings but this is our first batch of turkeys. I am not positive yet where to put them. She's keeping them indoors without a heat lamp right now just under 80 degrees I believe. I don't particularly want them inside (I've done the brooding inside many times before and would rather not if I can help it) but I'm worried its too hot outside to put them outside.

Anyway we (my husband and I) are very excited. We really just wanted a few to mosey about the barnyard and backyard and these poults parents are literally pet types that let you pet them etc. So I am thrilled! Can't wait!

Last edited:
Thanks, its so cool to see them growing up! We'll be picking ours up Saturday most likely. I'm anxious and nervous.

I have no clue. But I believe she may also have blue slate. I forgot about those before.

The two dark chicks are rusty blacks. They have one red gene on a black base. The masked chick looks like a Buff. It is not a mix. It has 2 red genes. I don't see a mask on the first one but my guess is it also has two red genes. Is it there and I missed it? The Naragansett gene is sexed linked. We would need to know is it is the Tom or the Hen that was Naragansett. My guess is the two Rusty blacks had a Naragansett mom or the blue slate mom and the poult did not get a slate gene. The naragansett gene will not show but any toms will carry one gene, the hens will have none.

Last edited:
Cool thank you so much for the reply. I LOVE color genetics but haven't even looked at turkeys yet. Lots to learn but I'll dive in sooner or later.

Anyway thank you for the info. I will google the rusty blacks to see what they'll look like as mature adults.
big_smile.png

Just picked the poults up. The darker two are coming in with more red and the two paler ones are very different. The lightest is buff colored and the medium colored is very pale with almost a bluish tent.

I was also mistaken. I though she had blue slates but she doesn't. She has narragansetts and buffs only. She runs the two together after she's threw hatching off purebreds. So these are crosses of the two breeds. No way to know which has what parent.

Wow yours are beautiful! Love how they're strutting too. Thanks for sharing pictures of them.
smile.png

Here are new pictures of them. I plan to take pics as they grow out and show what they mature into. Can't wait to see my first one strut!
Poults_7-10-11_almost3wks.jpg

Poults_7-10-11_almost3wks-2.jpg

Poults_7-10-11_almost3wks-3.jpg

Poults_7-10-11_almost3wks-4.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom