New 8 x 12 Bantam Coop *New Additions-Post 244~ 6/2*

Thanks! Aubrey will tell you that I've been talking with him about these for months now. At first I thought I'd be able to get them before last October, but just couldn't swing it. Now that we have moved the location of the strawberry patch, I can even build them their own little coop. The original plans were to house them with the older hens in their rooster-less coop and I may do that if I end up with too many at some point, but I am happy to have a new building project!

ETA: Removed the 4x4 posts and the chicken wire that used to surround my strawberry patch. Have decided to build 6x8 rather than the 4x6 I originally had in mind. I have enough 4x4's to do the skids to build on, but just need to level the ground a bit more and buy some concrete blocks to set the skids on and we can get started.

Well, this is the little coop that grew. My DH saw a storage shed at Home Depot he liked with the Quaker style roof, an 8 x 12. I said, okay, we can cut it down in size, but he said, no, you could have an 8x8 coop and a 4x8 storage area. The coop is like this one below, minus the blue paint (I hate to paint so I want it stained in cedar color). It won't have the double doors, just a human door on one end where the storage/brooder area will be located. So, here we go (or grow) again. And there will be more windows on the southeastern side of the coop. Gee, I could have double the bantams in there than I planned on.
lol.png

1239389613_Regency-Vincent-Delux-LG.jpg

Realize I didn't make it clear that we would be building it ourselves and scrounging materials as much as possible. We can build it for way less than half of what they're charge us, especially buying windows, etc, from the Habitat Restore.

I see that debby-10's coop is almost identical to the way we're going to do this one, same size, same roof style, same location for the human door. Beautiful job on that, Debby! This in on our coop pages under Large Coops.

25597_img_0846.jpg

Here is the location with 4x4's laid out to simulate the walls, dividing off the 4' storage area. The human door will be on the right end and you'll step into the storage area, then there will be a wall sectioning off the 8x8 coop part. We'll have to get solid concrete blocks, the 2" high ones, as the base and the skids will sit on top of those.

348_dscn0985.jpg

Come on Cyn, you were talking over on the Woods's Coop Thread about how you've been telling the hubby all of these years that they(chickens) need more fresh air. This would be a perfect time to build a open/fresh-air coop and show him how wrong he's been all these years!!

Back
Top Bottom