New 8 x 12 Bantam Coop *New Additions-Post 244~ 6/2*

If your husband is wanting to cut those oaks, you might want to look into getting a portable band mill to visit and saw them into lumber for you. Here in E. Ky it can be done for 10-20 cents a board foot, depending on how desperate times are locally.

Friendly warning - do NOT delay in using the lumber. You can kind of drive a nail in green oak, but after it dries it is strictly pre-drilling territory. White oak is rock hard and very weather and insect resistant.

Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure if he still plans to cut them or not, but that's worth thinking about.
smile.png

That is wonderful, can't wait to see the finished results.
thumbsup.gif

BTW... that is a good idea about having the trees cut into lumber. That is where we have gotten most of our lumber. We still have stacks of it.

The interior will be similar to the old ladies' side of the breeding coop, which also has front room storage. LOVE that! Wish we'd put storage in our original coops.

This is the old ladies side of the L-shaped coop where Suede lives. This new one will be similar inside, except that the door into the coop part will be on the left and I plan a sideways-sliding pop door that can be opened from inside the storage area and closed and locked from the inside.

DCP_1842.jpg

Thanks, Karen. Poor hubby has to recover from the foundation build/leveling first. He has degenerative disc disease and labor like this really puts him out of commission for a bit. Bless that man, though, for doing his best to give me what I want, like building an extra coop for bantams he isn't even thrilled about! If I don't care for the D'Anvers like I think I will, it could be used for a few standards or a grow-out coop, plus it's on much more level land than the main coop is.

Quote:
Tom is so great. What a pleasure it was to meet him! You both are super friendly.

So Nugget's D'Uccles will go in here too, correct?

Back
Top Bottom