New Again.....from Illinois to Alaska

McChics

Songster
7 Years
Apr 10, 2015
Hello all!

It has been a while since I last posted - In fact I'm quickly coming upon a year since I had to re-home my chicken and ducks due to a major life change. We moved from Illinois to Alaska. Yes - we have eagles, moose, bears....you name it. This is truly an incredible place to live!

I hated giving up my girls - but at least I found an amazing new home for them on a hobby farm with plenty of other birds. She has been very kind to send me pictures of them and we worked out a deal for her to have my old coop/hutch so they had some common digs.

Fast forward - we have an acre of land facing breathtaking views of the mountains in what is called the valley area (Palmer/Wasilla). My neighbors have chickens - and I hear their sweet egg songs and miss my girls.

So, my immediate next door neighbor is moving and asked if I would rehome his girls. There were 7 at the time. My wife and I sprung into action.

We extended our lawn mower/garden shed by 4' wide and 12' long. We've busted our butts on this for the last couple of weekends and while it isn't done, the girls came to their new home yesterday. Since we made this agreement they lost two of them.

Pictures below of what the shed looked like when we moved here. It is a cedar sided 10x12 on skids. We pulled it back to a high level spot on the yard - then I build a shed on the side of the shed. A 4x12 base on 16" center pressure treated with marine grade 3/4" plywood floor sheathing. Walls are on 24" center - roof on 24". Ran ice and water shield on all of it and put matching shingles with the flashing and gutter. We initially redid the shed to match the color and trim of the house -then had to match the coop extension.

I have to trench a line out from the house for power - as it can get very dark here in the winter and I'll want to put a de-icer on the water.

We will extend the yard area as we have time and resources.

At today's stupid prices...you don't want to know what the price per egg is! But I built it this way so that in the future if I didn't have the chickens it could be used for other storage. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm at a bit of a loss how I'll manage them going forward. I realize I messed up and should have put a chicken coop door on the outside of the extension as well - as when I'm outside putting them up I can't put them in one at a time and catch another as they will just walk out the door while getting another! It has been raining here non-stop for the last two weeks so we couldn't finish painting.

Not sure if I'll insulate or not - it doesn't get any colder here than Illinois - but stays colder longer.

Attachments

• chickens.jpg
    chickens.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 8
  • coop 1.jpg
    coop 1.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 2
  • coop 2.jpg
    coop 2.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 2
  • coop 3.jpg
    coop 3.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 2
  • coop 4.jpg
    coop 4.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 2
  • coop 5.jpg
    coop 5.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 2
  • coop 7.jpg
    coop 7.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 2
Welcome back!
Nice job on the coop! However, I would get a lot more ventilation in there than you currently have. If you can open up the spaces between the rafters that would be good and then pair that with some gable vents. You can cut out the top corners of those two non load supporting walls and cover them with half inch hardware cloth and then add some trim to dress it up.

Welcome back!
Nice job on the coop! However, I would get a lot more ventilation in there than you currently have. If you can open up the spaces between the rafters that would be good and then pair that with some gable vents. You can cut out the top corners of those two non load supporting walls and cover them with half inch hardware cloth and then add some trim to dress it up.
Great observation. I haven't cut the soffits out yet or any vents. The three windows give some air flow now - they have screens and are easy to open/close. But, trapped moisture and air up high is bad. Problem with a lean to shed roof - is you can't easily get optimal venting the way it terminates on the other wall against the garden shed. I'm thinking of running it hot roof and sealing it up and then setting the vents exactly as you say but closed soffits (therefore a hot roof) - I know that can ice dam on a house that is heated...but I think it will be okay here. I'm still weighing that all out.

Back
Top Bottom