New and my keets are dying!

newb1rdmom

Chirping
Jul 16, 2020
I'm new to raising keets so I'm not entirely sure what to do but I've done my best to research as much as possible. I ended up with 19 keets when a mother guinea hatched her eggs and left one behind. I took in the lone keet to try and raise it well enough to return it to the mother but then got nervous it may be best to raise it until it's old enough to go out on it's own. I chose to go to a local store and pick up 9 more keets to house with the one so it wasn't left alone. The mother guinea had about 18 keets on her own and within the first 2 days she had already lost half of them. They're free range so I figured it was bound to happen eventually but I was shocked to see the numbers get split over night. I'm staying with my grandparents and the guineas actually happen to be theirs and we talked about the remaining keets under the mothers care and chose to remove them from her to house them inside to give them a better chance as she was slowly losing more and more. We picked up the stragglers as they got left behind until we eventually had the rest of her babies which ended up being 9 + the one I was already housing. Thus I now had 19 keets.

The keets from the local store were clearly at least a week or more older than the newly hatched keets we had collected from the mother so we seperated them as soon as we could. The store keets were very afraid of me whenever I would change their food or water or place crickets for them to chase they would all panic and squish into a corner. This was a bit of trouble at first because we had to house the smaller keets with them for a couple days until we had another box to place the smaller keets in. During the process one of the keets got injured (I assume). It looked like it had gotten splayed as one of it's legs were stretched behind them and they couldn't stand or walk at all. At the time I didn't understand how to treat it or what to do and I tried looking it up but by the time I had figured anything out it was already too late and the keet passed in my hands. (That was this morning 7.16.2020)

Today I had to leave for a few hours because I had some errands to run and I was gone for about 6 hours total and I was nervous leaving the keets because I normally check on them every 15 minutes to make sure they're all still running around and doing alright. By the time I came home I had lost another keet. It was cold and stiff. It passed while I was gone. My grandmother came over because I asked her what I might be doing wrong and she said she wasn't sure and that's just how it is sometimes but I'm still frustrated. I have another keet that looks like it might pass soon too and I'm extremely distraught over it as I'm fairly positive it is my original keet I collected from the nest.

I don't want to lose anymore keet because I adore them with everything in me and I brought them in to ensure they have a better chance at living but it seems they're just not doing very well. They seemed to be doing better all together with the larger keets than they are now separated.

I don't have a for sure way of regulating the temp in the box but I do have a heat lamp that covers a portion of the boxes and they have space to get away from the heat. I only give them lukewarm water because I read colder water can chill and kill them. I change it whenever they get food, poop or bedding inside it, or when it's low/in need of changing. I have them on a starter gamebird feed which is the same my grandparents used on their keets when they raised them. I have a towel down in the box for the smaller keets to help prevent them from splipping and getting splayed. I have bedding over the top and in both boxes. I'm honestly not sure what else I could be doing.

I did read some other threads of people saying to check the keets bottoms for pasty butt and on the two that passed already I'm not sure if they did or not but I don't recall seeing any feces on them. However, on the one that is currently still living but looking sickly I noticed it had a bit of poo stuck over it's bum area so I used a warm wet piece of tissue to try and wipe it away. I got most of it but it looked as if there may have been something actually in it's butt.. I'm not sure if that's more poo or feathers or what. I'm not sure if I should attempt to do anything about it or not but the keets are very small and I don't want to injure them or fluster them too much.

I'm not sure if maybe the box is somehow too small, too hot or not hot enough. I don't know if the bedding is the wrong kind and if I need to change it for something else or if maybe there is an issue with their food. I can't think of anything that has changed since I got the keets other than me separating them but the one keet was already injured before I seperated them and now the two have died after doing so. I'm really at a loss and I'm not sure what I need to be doing to keep these keets healthy. I'm not sure if the issue is the fact they were taken from their mother or what. I try not to handle them too much but I have picked them up a few times to make sure they're alive (when they're sleeping and seem dead) or when I've checked their butts to see how it looks and that's all I've handled them.

I just feel very incompetent and it's frustrating me. I've tried doing my research and I feel it wasn't enough as the keets are dying anyways and my grandparents just keep saying that's the way nature works but I refuse to believe it. Especially with the one keet I raised from day 1. It had been doing so well and for it to now suddenly fall ill is very heartbreaking and frustrating for me. I want to make them well and I don't want to lose anymore keets. Any advice or answers I will listen and appreciate them so much. I apologize this post is quite long.

I’m sorry things aren’t going well:( It’s always heartbreaking losing keets.
Any pictures of your setup? What kind of bedding?
I use puppy pads or paper towels for the first couple weeks so they don’t get impacted. I also add a small pile of sand with different size rocks just in case they eat some bedding so they can process it.
I also think it’s fine to keep the different age keets together.
I did and I feel like the older ones did really good with the little guys.
83B137B9-E6AB-441A-882B-D9BCC45C4CA3.png

[QU
1. Have to have thermometer in brooder to regulate temp. Bc there are very fines line btwn too hot, just right, too cold. "95 degrees for the first week of age, then decrease the brooder temperature by 5 degrees each week. Once the keets are fully feathered by around 8 weeks of age." Too hot, they sprawl as far from heat as possible. Too cold, they huddle.
2. Have to check their butts for pasty butt. If they get this, they can't evacuate and die. Check, clean, don't pull. I applied coconut oil to lubricate.
3. Have to make sure they have water without being able to get into it and either a-drown b-foul water. Guinea 101 at beginning of this will help a lot.
They're tough to keep alive in the beginning, but so worth it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/raising-guinea-fowl-101.312682/

Last edited:
I use puppy pads or paper towels for the first couple weeks so they don’t get impacted. I also add a small pile of sand with different size rocks just in case they eat some bedding so they can process it.
I did and I feel like the older ones did really good with the little guys. View attachment 2247456
I used chux (hospital "puppy pads"- and they were great until the very end of their time in brooder, when they scratched. Shredded, got wet and then stamped in. 🙄 They had cotton concrete on their feet when I got home!

I used chux (hospital "puppy pads"- and they were great until the very end of their time in brooder, when they scratched. Shredded, got wet and then stamped in. 🙄 They had cotton concrete on their feet when I got home!

Yikes!
I haven’t had that happen, yet anyway. They do scratch and shred them. That’s why I give sand. I ran out of puppy pads. Well, I have lavender scented ones, but I don’t think a scented pad seems safe to use. So I’m using paper towels till I can use wood chips. One more week and I’ll feel safe putting them on chips.

I did and I feel like the older ones did really good with the little guys. View attachment 2247456
Originally, I had straw/grass in the box for the single keet but once I got the others from the store I upgraded to a larger box and I put wood chips in the bottom and then whenever I got the rest of the keets from the mother I placed a towel down with wood chips on top for the small keets. However, after posting this I tried to do a bit more research and I found that the small keets can actually eat the chips and get stopped up so I just removed all the chips from their box and just left the towel down. I do feel I need a bit bigger box because I don’t feel they have enough run space but I can’t find a box big enough yet and I’m not entirely sure of the exact size they need.

Also, I sadly only learned about the wood chips after my third keet passed. I’m very upset with myself for not taking proper precautions but I’m hoping this was the issue and that it helps with the rest of the keets. I also spent time to clean off all their butts and oil them with coconut oil as two of the keets had poopy/pasty butts and I was worried they would be clogged/backed up.

But here are some photos of the set up I have currently. I’m trying to find a better solution and set up to their boxes because I feel its just not enough for what they need but its all I have at the moment. I’ve only had the keets for about 4 days now so I’m still trying to figure out what’s best for them.
7526E799-9AD4-45F6-AB81-545805569688.jpeg F528F4B0-68DB-422F-9529-CA16C5F5DF43.jpeg FE7F1892-6201-4252-9334-B29DD685B1D1.jpeg

[QU
1. Have to have thermometer in brooder to regulate temp. Bc there are very fines line btwn too hot, just right, too cold. "95 degrees for the first week of age, then decrease the brooder temperature by 5 degrees each week. Once the keets are fully feathered by around 8 weeks of age." Too hot, they sprawl as far from heat as possible. Too cold, they huddle.
2. Have to check their butts for pasty butt. If they get this, they can't evacuate and die. Check, clean, don't pull. I applied coconut oil to lubricate.
3. Have to make sure they have water without being able to get into it and either a-drown b-foul water. Guinea 101 at beginning of this will help a lot.
They're tough to keep alive in the beginning, but so worth it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/raising-guinea-fowl-101.312682/

I keep them in a room and the room itself is very warm from the lamp because we keep the door closed so that the other animals (dogs and cats) don’t get in and try to eat them or anything. Would that apply to the overall heat for the chicks? Like, obviously it does but, does that affect the temperature that needs to be directly under the lamp. If the room is warm should the area under the lamp be less warm than usual or is it still the same? I apologize I feel this is a dumb/self explanatory question but I want to be sure I do things 100% correctly!

I also checked all their butts and found that two of them seemed to have a build up or “pasty” butts so I cleaned them and put some coconut oil on them. I’m hoping this helps!

I have little food and water feeders for them. They can slightly step into the water if they get up there but its not dee enough to wet their feathers. Is this okay or should I do something to try and prevent them from standing in it at all? These are the only feeders I have so that’s why I’m using them. They’re working perfect for the older keets but maybe not for the younger?

I keep them in a room and the room itself is very warm from the lamp because we keep the door closed so that the other animals (dogs and cats) don’t get in and try to eat them or anything. Would that apply to the overall heat for the chicks? Like, obviously it does but, does that affect the temperature that needs to be directly under the lamp. If the room is warm should the area under the lamp be less warm than usual or is it still the same? I apologize I feel this is a dumb/self explanatory question but I want to be sure I do things 100% correctly!

I also checked all their butts and found that two of them seemed to have a build up or “pasty” butts so I cleaned them and put some coconut oil on them. I’m hoping this helps!

I have little food and water feeders for them. They can slightly step into the water if they get up there but its not dee enough to wet their feathers. Is this okay or should I do something to try and prevent them from standing in it at all? These are the only feeders I have so that’s why I’m using them. They’re working perfect for the older keets but maybe not for the younger?
I have had good success with wood chips as long as the keets have chick grit, which is something they need to get used to anyways. I put some clover in there tote for them to start munching on and a bug or two now and then. These are all things that my keets that are coop reared are exposed to and seem to be thriving on. Everybody does it a little different and the older they get the tougher they get.

No need to apologize-I was where you are a yr. ago, & w/7 in the bathroom may soon be there again. What the temp is where the keets are. I also kept mine in a rm w/door close and vent covered. I still had to perfect the temp w/i the brooder. Put a thermometer on the floor under that light. If it's too high, raise the light. Too low, lower the light. It seems like most in here, including myself, switched to using a heating pad w/better success. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mama-heating-pad.1382550/#post-22709905
Personally I got frustrated w/the waterers, so we made one that worked perfectly. I got the cup waters they sell, poked holes in a juice bottle, inserted the cups and then sealed around entry w/E6000 adhesive (don't use super glue, it melts the plastic causing leaks).

No need to apologize-I was where you are a yr. ago, & w/7 in the bathroom may soon be there again. What the temp is where the keets are. I also kept mine in a rm w/door close and vent covered. I still had to perfect the temp w/i the brooder. Put a thermometer on the floor under that light. If it's too high, raise the light. Too low, lower the light. It seems like most in here, including myself, switched to using a heating pad w/better success. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mama-heating-pad.1382550/#post-22709905
Personally I got frustrated w/the waterers, so we made one that worked perfectly. I got the cup waters they sell, poked holes in a juice bottle, inserted the cups and then sealed around entry w/E6000 adhesive (don't use super glue, it melts the plastic causing leaks).
20190817_090130.jpg

Back
Top Bottom