new and need help!

chickydoos

Chirping
6 Years
May 2, 2013
missouri
I am new to raising chickens. I bought some chicks from a local feed store a little before easter. They are growing fast and healthy. I have 4. I know one is a sex link chick. Im not sure what the 3 others are... But i just started looking on craigslist and found some "flat feathered sizzle hens" . They are so adorable and i couldnt pass them up. However, they are11 months old and already laying. Im picking them up tomorrow. How can i introduce them to my chicks. I heard they are very docile. So i figured since they are the older hen that they will be alright. Just wondering what everyone thinks... My chicks are fully feathered and living outside free range and in a coop at night. Thanks. :)

Last edited:
You should quarantine the new ones for a couple weeks first.
If there is a big size difference you might need separate living quarters in the beginning.
You could fence off a separate section so they can see each other but not hurt each other. There will be a pecking order.
There is really good information in the learning tabs above for more detailed info.
Good luck

welcome-byc.gif
actually quarantine for up to a month if you have any reason to think the new ones may have "unwanted surprises," to pass on to your chicks, worms, mites,lice, diseases etc.

Back
Top Bottom