New Australian Hatching Mystery Egg at Home

San Angelo Tx here. we are all like family waiting in the waiting room of the hospital for family members upcoming baby. I'll get the cigars

Welcome from Utah! I migrated over from the hatch-a-long
smile.png

Hang in there!

Hi Teloka

I am on the west coast so its only 930 sat night here.

I am cooking beef rendang and am in the middle of a multibreed shipped egg chicken hatch that is very drawn out due to one of my bators losing power for > 5 hrs mid incubation. I had 2 pip the wrong end but managed to assist one out alive so thats a blessing.

I have 11 chicks out, 4 pips and lots just hanging out without doing anything.

Anyway, I am around for several hours so no worries.- it just may be.20 minutes between reads of your thread. pm me if you need to and my phone will let me know.

There are lots of people with more experience than me and lots of people with advice.

Lets take it slowly unless we have to

I don't know enough about hatching other than to say, I lost 5 fully formed chicks on hatch day .....all were moving about that morning, but they could not get out for whatever reason (the shell and membrane were too tough because of some maladjusted humidity or temperature). They all died because I didn't do anything. I wish some of those who incubate eggs regularly would give some advice! I really want this chick to hatch as I know everyone else does! Good Luck!
could have been a temp problem or a humidity problem
what did you use to measure each?

Hi there everybody! Thank you so so much for all of your support and well wishes, I'm sorry it is slow and there is not a lot to report! Still no change, I forced myself to toddle off for an hour and make and eat some lunch before commiting myself to any sort of action.

Thank you so much for stopping by Sally, I hope that you have a good sleep and feel well rested in the morning! Thank you for checking in and helping out. I've re-read the guides, but it's always so hard to be patient when one feels so anxious that I forget how long things can take. Thank you!

Based on the feedback, if the pip looks good to everybody else (I have no experienced so I am not sure what to expect!) then I will leave it. If there is still no further movement in an hour or so, I might try very carefully putting a sterile pin through the gap just to be entirely sure that there is air reaching in there. When I shine the torch in, I can see that it is still moving around quite a bit in there, just that the sounds have quietened down, but perhaps it is just resting!

Thank you so much everybody for all the feedback, I feel a lot happier to just sit around and wait for a while longer now and just let the little baby rest in there.

Is metho the best/safest thing to sterilize with?
My temperature is on 37-37.5 celcius (98.6-99.5'f), are those acceptable temperatures?
The humidity has been boosted up to 70% now in case it pips further and needs more moisture. Is that alright as well?

Ahh so anxious! Sorry for asking so many questions. Must keep sitting on hands.

Last edited:
Hi Teloka

I am on the west coast so its only 930 sat night here.

I am cooking beef rendang and am in the middle of a multibreed shipped egg chicken hatch that is very drawn out due to one of my bators losing power for > 5 hrs mid incubation. I had 2 pip the wrong end but managed to assist one out alive so thats a blessing.

I have 11 chicks out, 4 pips and lots just hanging out without doing anything.

Anyway, I am around for several hours so no worries.- it just may be.20 minutes between reads of your thread. pm me if you need to and my phone will let me know.

There are lots of people with more experience than me and lots of people with advice.

Lets take it slowly unless we have to

Oz your dinner sounds delicious! I'm happy to hear that you managed to help the one that pipped the wrong end. I'll be accessing the forum for a good 8 more hours or so until bedtime, so I'll update as soon as anything happens or when I go to bed, so if you're up late with your hatch I'll probably be around! :) It sounds great though, I hope that it goes well for you and your next four pippers hatch out just fine!

Thank you so so much for all your help! It's really comforting to have such a wonderful support group here, I just hope that I'll be able to give you all good news soon enough!

This whole hatching business is really addictive, agh, I already have too little time for everything else I have to do in my day, I can't let myself get addicted to incubating too!

There are a lot of people watching this around rage world. What a drama, a gripping mystery. I have to go to bed, it is so frustrating, night here day there. If I wake up I will have to check in.
he.gif
roll.png

Ahh, I'm so sorry Lady Kota! Timezones can be really frustrating that way. But at this rate, the baby is just having a sleep too, so you should both be able to rest together! :) I'll be sure to update if anything happens.

Hi there everybody! Thank you so so much for all of your support and well wishes, I'm sorry it is slow and there is not a lot to report! Still no change, I forced myself to toddle off for an hour and make and eat some lunch before commiting myself to any sort of action.

Thank you so much for stopping by Sally, I hope that you have a good sleep and feel well rested in the morning! Thank you for checking in and helping out. I've re-read the guides, but it's always so hard to be patient when one feels so anxious that I forget how long things can take. Thank you!

Based on the feedback, if the pip looks good to everybody else (I have no experienced so I am not sure what to expect!) then I will leave it. If there is still no further movement in an hour or so, I might try very carefully putting a sterile pin through the gap just to be entirely sure that there is air reaching in there. When I shine the torch in, I can see that it is still moving around quite a bit in there, just that the sounds have quietened down, but perhaps it is just resting!

Thank you so much everybody for all the feedback, I feel a lot happier to just sit around and wait for a while longer now and just let the little baby rest in there.

Is metho the best/safest thing to sterilize with?
My temperature is on 37-37.5 celcius (98.6-99.5'f), are those acceptable temperatures?
The humidity has been boosted up to 70% now in case it pips further and needs more moisture. Is that alright as well?

Ahh so anxious! Sorry for asking so many questions. Must keep sitting on hands.
metho or methylated spirits (isopropyl alcohol for the yanks lol) is ideal says nurse Oz. give your hands a full 3 minute wash with soap and water. if you have alcohol hand gel then rub them with that, if not, dip your fingers in a bit of metho too. Let it dry and dont smoke lol. you are then ready to perform surgery

lift the shell only with the blunt end if you can,sharp end if you must but just the shell and not the membrane. mist the inside of the bator with a spriz of water. if no spray bottle, get a wet paper towel and run it around the glass top. the increased surface area will bump your humidity up. 70% is good. you cant drown a chick now

good luck

PS The beef rendang is delish. screaming hot, true sumatran style.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom