New Australian Hatching Mystery Egg at Home

I was thinking a similar thought but would have replaced boat with another four letter word.
lau.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yuckyuck.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Thank you! :D

And who is ready for a massive photo spam? I've just finished editing a heap, and I'll start uploading them now! :D

The almost completed zip just moments before Basil hatched out! I checked my timestamps on the videos I took, and after the long period of visible membrane but not change, almost 3 hours, he started to zip. From starting to zip to being hatched on the floor of the incubator (and quickly leaping out!) took only 7 minutes! 5 days late on the hatch, but rushed and eager at the end!

Once he'd started to dry off a bit and had taken a good long nap, I set about measuring and weighing him! At 5 hours old Basil is about 10cm long, and weighs a tiny 37grams! What a featherweight! I also wanted a picture of him next to his egg; can't believe he ever fitted in there just yesterday! He might be a total duckling, but I reckon he's got dragon or velociraptor feet for sure!

These four photos were inside his brooder box after he'd just woken up from a really long nap- his first one after hatching about five hours before these photos! He has so much energy, it's crazy! What happened to "the chick will be tired and probably want to sleep a lot after the exertion of hatching"? I don't think he read the duckling hatching manual!

He still wasn't totally fluffed up in these photos, but he is criminally adorable without trying and I couldn't wait to take photos! I think he was also a bit sticky, some of his feathers were still clumpy this morning, so I brushed him with some water and now he's REALLY fluffy.

More pictures from this morning in a minute! :D

Last edited:
The almost completed zip just moments before Basil hatched out! I checked my timestamps on the videos I took, and after the long period of visible membrane but not change, almost 3 hours, he started to zip. From starting to zip to being hatched on the floor of the incubator (and quickly leaping out!) took only 7 minutes! 5 days late on the hatch, but rushed and eager at the end! Once he'd started to dry off a bit and had taken a good long nap, I set about measuring and weighing him! At 5 hours old Basil is about 10cm long, and weighs a tiny 37grams! What a featherweight! I also wanted a picture of him next to his egg; can't believe he ever fitted in there just yesterday! He might be a total duckling, but I reckon he's got dragon or velociraptor feet for sure! These four photos were inside his brooder box after he'd just woken up from a really long nap- his first one after hatching about five hours before these photos! He has so much energy, it's crazy! What happened to "the chick will be tired and probably want to sleep a lot after the exertion of hatching"? I don't think he read the duckling hatching manual! He still wasn't totally fluffed up in these photos, but he is criminally adorable without trying and I couldn't wait to take photos! I think he was also a bit sticky, some of his feathers were still clumpy this morning, so I brushed him with some water and now he's REALLY fluffy. More pictures from this morning in a minute! :D
awesome keep em coming

This morning I wanted to get a photo of Basil in the glass bowl we used for incubating, because it seemed very familiar and a nice nostalgia to when he was an anxiety causing egg! Of course, he can't sit still at all so most of my photos of him are a bit blurry now. I also took a photo of all the little chipped pieces of egg he broke off while he was zipping, what a little fighter!

New shots inside the incubator, including the little duck toy I put in there for him. I picked something without threads so that he couldn't get his claws caught at all. I also changed the towel that was in there because every time he jumped up high he'd get one claw caught in and wind up hanging by one leg which I thought wasn't very safe! This morning though he no longer gets stuck in the fabric, he just jumps straight out! In the left hand picture he's crouching down read to spring, I'm amazed he can jump out of this incubator so young!

And a little compilation of shots of this fuzzywuzzy baby this morning, about 19hours after hatch. He's still teeny tiny and super energetic, he's hard to photograph as he runs around so much. I think he is a bit camera shy, always running away from the lens!!

bloody long minute. lol
Sorry! Basil woke up, and he keeps jumping out of the brooder and I have to keep stopping to catch him before he falls! Then he sits in my lap and I have to type one handed!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom