New baby chicks

Chickmama11

Songster
Apr 24, 2022
Ireland
Hi all,
New to forum & to chi kens so have lots to learn. Wondered if anyone can tell what gender these wee ones are. Wings/ feathers appear much bigger on one than the other. I dont know the breed, was just told they are 8 days old. If ive posted in wrong place, apologies, my 1st post. Thanks for any help/ advice 🤗

Attachments

• 20220424_125009.jpg
    20220424_125009.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 9
Welcome!
Sexing by the rate of feather growth is a thing, but only if the chick's parents were selected to pass on that trait. Otherwise, it's all random. Your chicks from a source that can't even identify their breed type won't have that!
They are cute though, and it does take weeks to figure out sexes in most breeds. More photos later!
Mary

To be fair I didn't ask about breed or gender, was just so excited to have them & either way they are beautiful wee birds. One is already trying to fly out, made it up onto the heat plate 😂 I'll post more pics as they grow and see if you can help me figure it out. Thanks again for all your replies; much appreciated 🤗

Ok, so have spoken to the person I got the chicks from and he says he hatched cream legbars and brown leghorns. Ive looked them up and the chicks of both look very alike so I'm still none the wiser. They're growing fast though and such beautiful, friendly, intelligent birds. Think I'm hooked already lol Here's an updated pic of one who was willing to pose 😍

Attachments

• 20220430_091124.jpg
    20220430_091124.jpg
    770.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220430_091109.jpg
    20220430_091109.jpg
    549.4 KB · Views: 3
My chicks are6 weeks old now. Isent so e pics to the personI got them from & he now says they're red mottled leghorns ... who knows! They are healthy & happy, doing great, whatever they are ☺ Anyway, I wondered can anyone tell yet what gender they might be? I thought this 1st one might be male. Slighty bigger than the other chick but also seems much more gentle in personality than the other.

Attachments

• Mottled_resized.jpg
    Mottled_resized.jpg
    963.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom