New Baby Ducks on the Way - With Live Nest Cams

ninety6

Chirping
Jun 9, 2021
Last year our flock was 8. We lost 3 to cars, 2 to a fox, and 1 to a coyote :(. Our remaining two (Our Cayuga and Mallard) settled in on nests a few weeks ago, and we have (as of last weekend) 17 viable babies! ALL the babies are mallards. The Cayuga (Ocho) had plenty of eggs, but non were fertile -- but the mallard layed in both nests so we'll a mallard family and a blended family 🤣.

I have both cams on a youtube live feed. The ducks have been full-time on the nests Since 4/7, which is what the timer on the video is on. However, they were on their at least 12 hours a day for several days prior, and the eggs seemed further along when candling. So hatch day will be a mystery, but we are hoping for late this week!

https://youtube.com/live/DdTWZIcxy6g

Our ducks are free range, but sleep in the locked coop at night. (well, right now, they are in the coop 23 hours a day).

I do have some questions -- we've raised several batches of ducklings, both hatching and buying. But with THESE ducks we planned to let the momma's take care of them. HOWEVER we don't want them eaten by hawks, dogs, etc. So should we keep them in the coop and provide food and water for a while? Or just let the momma's take care of it all? The pond is about 300 feet from the coop.

How about building a large run so no more get run over or eaten? Mamas will be able to protect their ducklings and they will have a safer and longer life. Mama ducks have been hatching and rearing a lot longer than us.

Thanks Lydia! we are hoping to build a dock/coupe combo right by the pond. Last year we didn't have these issues, but this year was quite the challenge. Of course, we had more non-flyers as well. I think having a safe home closer to the pond would help.

On a positive note, Babies hatched on Sunday! The live cam is much more entertaining now as they are coming out to eat and drink regularly. The Mallard successfully hatched 11 eggs (out of 12). Ocho the Cayuga has one hatched today so far (at least).

Was able to a decent pic of 10 of them with momma!

Attachments

• 20230502_100627.jpg
    20230502_100627.jpg
    560 KB · Views: 8
I have both cams on a youtube live feed. The ducks have been full-time on the nests Since 4/7, which is what the timer on the video is on. However, they were on their at least 12 hours a day for several days prior, and the eggs seemed further along when candling. So hatch day will be a mystery, but we are hoping for late this week!

https://youtube.com/live/DdTWZIcxy6g
Thanks for sharing the link!

I have my entire yard (although only 50’) covered in aviary netting supported by tensioned aircraft cable….no more bird threats.

I have nest cams too..,tied into my surveillance system…got 30fps 8mp

Back
Top Bottom