New Baby Mallard

jenv1990

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2015
Bozeman Montana
I am so excited. My baby has finally almost externally pipped the egg. She is working away diligently and the wait is killing me. I haven't heard any peeps but can hear her tap tap tapping away :)

His little beak is finally through
1f600.png
he looks like he is just breathing with a peep here and there and opening and closing his beak really quickly every once in a while. How long will he/she rest like this

Wahoo! :woot

I don't have duck experience (so hopefully somebody else will address your question more specifically than I can). I have hatched chicks a few times though, and it can take a while for them to zip and completely hatch after the external pip. Sometimes they are really fast (I had one chick pip, zip, and hatch in 15 minutes), but other times they are really tired and/or still absorbing their yolk sac and they can take up to 24 hours before they zip and hatch (sometimes longer).
I hope your duckling is a speedy one. ;)
Keep us posted, I'm excited!

His little beak is finally through
1f600.png
he looks like he is just breathing with a peep here and there and opening and closing his beak really quickly every once in a while. How long will he/she rest like this

I've had them stay like that just making a tiny bit of progress for a whole day. Hatching is hard work for them, so they take rest periods during the process.

Back
Top Bottom