new broody confused?

SLWyandotte

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 23, 2011
Chatom, Alabama
is it normal for a new broody hen to be a bit confused about exactly what to do? my lead hen went broody so i let her spend 2 nights with no eegs. last night i gave her 4 eegs. this morning i went out to feed the rest of the flock and she stood up off the eegs and just stood there like she was confused about what to do. she wouldn't move off the nest but i had to gently press her back down so she would sit. it was like she was in a daze. she is extremely docile now where she used to not like being touch and would peck at the hand that tried. is this something i should worry about or is this just a case of my instincts are telling me to do something and i don't understand why. thanks for any replies in advance.

Well, if it's her first time, just give her a day or two to see if she sticks with it. Ya never know.

My current broody would take herself off the nest once a day in the AM to walk around, poo, and get something to eat and drink. Then she headed back to the nest and stayed for the day. We'd sometimes take her off again just for another eat/poo break in the afternoon, only because her first batch of eggs were a bust and so she's now on about 8 weeks of being broody and we don't want her health to suffer. (Good news is this batch starting hatching yesterday - so she'll have babies and break the broodyness, yeah!)

We've had a couple "seem" like they were going to be broody, only to abandon it a day or two later. Again, you never know until they make it clear.

Back
Top Bottom