New chick from store limp & lethargic

dawnjerrene

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 27, 2008
Eastern Washington
Just got 14 more chix today. One is acting odd, rolling its head down toward its chest, falling over. The rest all seem fine. Any ideas on what or why it's doing this? I'm scared to pur it in with the others. Help?

If the chick is still alive and weak give it some sugar water and/or electrolytes. If the sugar water perks the baby up offer a little scrambled egg. It is probably just a weak baby that has become overwhelmed with the stress of being shifted around. If the chick has an illness the others would already be exposed, they likely all came from the same hatchery and were together at the store.

If the chick rallies definitely let it go back with the others, being alone is extremely stressful for those babies. In nature a lone chick is a dead chick.

If the chick is capable of eating/drinking and still acting odd it could be a vitamin deficiency, vitamin b vitamins could help.

Last edited:
TY for reminding me I had electrolyte powder stashed away. I'd completely forgotten. Our little one didn't make it through the night, but we are administering electro-fluids to two others who are also acting wonky. They're snuggled down in my 13 year olds lap, warm and cozy. Haven't gotten food into them, yet, though. Should I try scrambled egg, do you think?

Back
Top Bottom