New chick owners from Southern Ohio

thejoshtolle

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2016
Southern Ohio
My wife and I recently purchased 6 Red Sexlinks from TSC. We've had them for almost 3 weeks now and since day one, I've been Pinteresting and Googling chicken coops.
I'm sure there are 100's of threads on here to address the topic. If I could have someone of more veteran status to direct me to those threads, it would be greatly appreciated!

You may also appreciate all the information available at the Learning Center above. For coops - just click on the brown box above.

Hello to ya'all from an experienced poultry grower. Raising chicks, turkeys, ducks and geese is something we got good at. I see someone is looking for coop plans. There's plenty to choose from. Just depends on flock size, space available and cost. My son and I built a 9 hole roll out nest box to accommodate some 70 laying hens and it worked like a charm. Remembering that the nest hole size must be large enough to be used by a large hen if that's what you have. For instance, white leghorns don't need as big a nest box as a black australorp. If I can be of help, let me know. The black australorps by the way, were laying at 16 weeks old and layed all winter long.

welcome-byc.gif

You can find almost any topic imagined by using the search feature...it's in the upper left, under the logo.

Good luck with your coop build!

I'm planning to build an outhouse style coop for my girls.
The plan is to have two floors with a "trap door" style roost leading from one to the other. I'll latch the door going to the bottom part of the coop in the evenings so that my hens will sleep on the second floor.

Has anyone tried anything like this before?
If so, how'd it work for you?

One thing one needs to remember is heat rises and your chickens may really suffer during the summer heat. You don't want them in a draft either. The best coop is one that has ample space, fresh air but not drafty. Not everyone's design is going to be good for your chickens. Considering all seasonal weather and making necessary design changes might work.

Back
Top Bottom