New Chick Question!

johnny_smith09

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 14, 2007
Norfork, AR
ok one of my broody hens hatched a chick out. im worried because the hen steps on the chick's head. also the chick still has yolk out of his naval cavity. doesnt that go in as the chick dries? and oh yeah--is the chick's neck supposed to look like it is limp lol? i think it is--ive hatched before. but can you answer to keep me from being all stressed?

Last edited:
Just a little of what I know. The navel will dry up in a couple of days. And chicks don't have a LOT of control of themselves for a couple of days. Mama hens aren't the most gentle Mama's either. If a bug comes by they will run over whatever to get to it. The baby only knows to stay close and under Mom for protection and warmth. He'll get the hang of it in a couple days.

recent update*** i left the hen alone with her chick and 30 min later i come to a dead bloody chick outside the nest. that stupid hen- i trusted her! well i put one of my TRUSTED setters on the nest and ill think they will be fine. i was gonna ring that hens neck! i was devestated on having to bury that beautiful araucana chick!

Back
Top Bottom