New chicken & duck owners here!

bsshog40

Chirping
May 3, 2024
Omaha, Tx.
So we live N.E., Tx. Wife wanted some chickens, lol, and we now have 4 three month old rhodes. They are doing fine. We bought a tractor supply coop that has 3 nesting boxes. Before we got the chickens, I thompson water sealed all the wood, sprayed sealer on the composite roof sheet and then siliconed all gaps. We set the coop up inside a 10'x10' dog pen that seems to be working out just fine. Then the wife wanted ducks. We were only going to get 2 but, there was only 3 left and the feed store didn't want the third one left alone. Lol So we have 3 mallards. Man they grow fast! I calculate they are 24 days old as of today. We bought a chicken pen from amazon and I already reinforced that with chain link fence rails and I am finishing up on enclosing the whole thing with 1/2" welded wire. I already built them a decent duck house a week ago. We are brooding our ducks in a pup tent right now in our garage. Gonna try to finish their pen this weekend so we can start letting them be outside during the day. They barely have pin feathers on their tails right now, but they are getting huge! Lol Not to mention how messy they are. Lol Anyway, I joined the forum just to read up on info that will help us in raising our feathered friends. I've attached some pics of our setups. How are we doing as new owners?
Thanks, bobby

Attachments

• 20240323_180925.jpg
    20240323_180925.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • 20240323_180142.jpg
    20240323_180142.jpg
    647.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240503_090508.jpg
    20240503_090508.jpg
    730.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240424_214614.jpg
    20240424_214614.jpg
    690.2 KB · Views: 5
So we live N.E., Tx. Wife wanted some chickens, lol, and we now have 4 three month old rhodes. They are doing fine. We bought a tractor supply coop that has 3 nesting boxes. Before we got the chickens, I thompson water sealed all the wood, sprayed sealer on the composite roof sheet and then siliconed all gaps. We set the coop up inside a 10'x10' dog pen that seems to be working out just fine. Then the wife wanted ducks. We were only going to get 2 but, there was only 3 left and the feed store didn't want the third one left alone. Lol So we have 3 mallards. Man they grow fast! I calculate they are 24 days old as of today. We bought a chicken pen from amazon and I already reinforced that with chain link fence rails and I am finishing up on enclosing the whole thing with 1/2" welded wire. I already built them a decent duck house a week ago. We are brooding our ducks in a pup tent right now in our garage. Gonna try to finish their pen this weekend so we can start letting them be outside during the day. They barely have pin feathers on their tails right now, but they are getting huge! Lol Not to mention how messy they are. Lol Anyway, I joined the forum just to read up on info that will help us in raising our feathered friends. I've attached some pics of our setups. How are we doing as new owners?
Thanks, bobby
Welcome to BYC!

I forgot to add a pic of our duck brooder. We had them in one of those metal troughs but they were getting too big for that. The tent seems to work much better. It has a waterproof floor and we put puppy pads down under their waterer. Still a little messy but I can roll the pads up and toss. Makes cleaning easier. Lol

Attachments

• 20240422_145933.jpg
    20240422_145933.jpg
    664.5 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom