New chicken keeper in NC

Chibabies6

Hatching
Jun 6, 2015
Hello all! We moved to a nice large piece of land last fall and have been wanting chickens. We got 7 chickens last Thurs and they are just so darned cute!! They are around 2 weeks old. We bought 6 and were given one free that has a bad leg. She is doing really well though and they seem to be very happy and healthy. They already have a lot of personality too.,

I also have 6 chihuahuas and we have some box gardens for veggies. We are trying to 'homestead' as much as we can. I have been enjoying looking over the coops for ideas as we are building one and will be posting some questions. Thanks all!

Michelle

Welcome! Amazing how much personality they really do have and fun to watch them develop! My hubby built a coop and he put a feeder tube on it out of 4" plumber pipe so we just have to keep that full and we're good. :)

Please be watchful of the dogs, even tiny ones like Chihuahuas and yorkies have been known to massacre flocks. Your bird with the bad leg, will probably be the first one targeted by predators. That is something to consider if you plan to free range them. She wouldn't be able to get away as fast .

Please be watchful of the dogs, even tiny ones like Chihuahuas and yorkies have been known to massacre flocks. Your bird with the bad leg, will probably be the first one targeted by predators. That is something to consider if you plan to free range them. She wouldn't be able to get away as fast .

No worries.. I know my little monsters would not play nice at all with chickens lol. We are not going to be free ranging. too many predators around here for that.

Back
Top Bottom