new chicken mama

kthysmth

Hatching
Apr 7, 2015
Hello im so excited about having my own chickens. This site is great i really appreciate all the info everyone has to offer. Can anyone tell me if i have male or female chicks. They came from tractor supply store a week ago from the same brown layer bin. They look so different i cant have roosters in my boro and im in love with them so i want to prepare myself if i need to rehome one of my babies. Thank you for any info you may share

Last edited:
Sorry but I can't tell rather any of them are males or females by their colors. But once they are around 5 - 7 weeks old you could tell the difference between two sexes rather easily. The males will have a bigger feet than the female and the male will start to have a bigger comb too. There are many ways of sexing chickens. I would just go with wait for 5 -7 weeks, to tell the sexes either male or female. Because in these photos they do seem like a week old. And wouldn't be able to wing sex them. Hope this helped
thumbsup.gif
And what beautiful chicks you have :D

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Aww...they are adorable! It might be a bit early to sex them yet, however most pullets will have their primary wing feathers growing by their first week. Cockerels are very slow to lose their fuzz and grow primaries, tails and other feathers. So all this being said, they all appear to be pullets!! Yay! BUT....keep an eye on them for differences and usually by 4 week of age, you should be able to tell the difference. Then you can post pics in our What Breed and Gender section of the forums...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Good luck and I will keep my fingers crossed for pullets only!!
fl.gif

Welcome to our flock!

I know a lot people cannot have roosters or do not want roosters but we love our roosters for all the work they do in protecting their hens. When a rooster has his own hens in his own pen he really takes care of them in many ways. He guards them and shouts out warning calls when hawks or predators are near, he woos and dances for the hen while courting her, when we toss scratch out the rooster has a sweet call to the hens that scratch is out and he watches them eat every once in a while he pecks at the food but mostly he watches over them while they eat.

Our roosters do a bang up job at protecting their hens in their pastures. We have been so surprised at the intelligence of chickens and they act as a family unit. The kindness of the rooster to his hens and flock. Something else.

(yes, I like having more hens than roosters but I love my roosters also)

Welcome to BYC, your chicks are adorable - it is too young to sex them but, the photos don't show any of them head on, so we can't check combs.

Back
Top Bottom