New chicken mom and freaked out.

They are still young. Sounds like a learning curve or one-off glitch.
I wouldn’t worry unless it keeps happening.
For peace of mind you could crush up some calcium pills and add to a wet mash.
@Perris is right that too much calcium isn’t great (which is why free choice is best) but that won’t be an issue if you just do it for a few days. Most of the calcium passes straight through and it takes a long time to be a health issue.
Mine don’t seem to eat much oyster shell though I notice that they eat more of it if I scatter it around on the ground.
If yours are allowed out and about they will also find calcium in plants. I think grass has calcium for example.
I usually feed an All Flock feed and mine spend a goodly amount of time each day foraging around outside. In the spring when everyone seems to go laying crazy I switch to a layer feed. I am sure the extra calcium is more beneficial to my mental health than to the chickens’ reproductive health, but my mental health is important too!
Relax and don’t worry too much!

Whoa! I think this is very normal. New layers frequently have a glitch or two as they are starting out. Some for more than a month.

It is not uncommon to get double yolkers, my sons thought they were lucky, or shell less eggs, especially in the spring or when they first start laying.

If you do nothing but what you are doing it will straighten out in as about the same time if you treat.

Supply good feed, water and enough space is really what is best for chickens. I am pretty sure with both laying feed and oyster shell provided, these birds have enough calcium.

No, they hardly touch it. They will if they need it. Really the layer feed is meeting most of their needs. If you have that out and are feeding layer, this is not probably a deficiency issue. This sounds to me like a very typical laying issue. They are not machines. Sometimes they are a little off. Nothing to really worry about.

Back
Top Bottom