New chicken Mom

Brjeepcon

In the Brooder
May 1, 2024
Hello to all,
I am a new chicken mom and have 13 chicks, 7 weeks old. I got the a day old and they seem to be doing well. We just moved them to a large walk-in coop with large run. They love it. My question is when do I stop feeding chic starter food and go to pellets? FYI, this site has helped me a lot these first 7 weeks. Thanks

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
You can feed chick starter for life. I prefer it or any other All Flock type feed that offers 18-20% protein vs. the lower protein layer feeds that also force the birds to consume excess calcium year-round when they do not need it all year long. I prefer to offer a container or two of oyster shell on the side for free choice feeding.

Hello
wave and wag.gif
Welcome
smiley_emoticons_charly_doppelknuddel_gr.gif

Thanks for all the helpful advise. I have Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Rocks and Australorps. They just had their first radish leaves and loved them. I will pickup the oyster shell, can I just leave it in a different container in a dry place for them?View attachment 3817712View attachment 3817711
Yes. We use a dog dish. Sometimes I just put a pile of it near the coop too. Just about anything works provided it's separate from their feed as those who need it will eat it, those who don't, won't.

Back
Top Bottom