New chicken mommy, ready to play whats my chicken :)

Feathertot

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2022
Hi friends! I am a new chicken mommy. I am a second grade teacher and we do an embryology unit where we hatch chicks from eggs, so I have a little background knowledge, but not much after the chick phase. It has inspired me to raise my own. I got these darlings from TS and they were sexed as pullets, but I'd like a second opinion because I've read stories of people having roo roulette and I can't have a rooster where I live due to city ordinance bc it's a noise violation. I have 2 buff orpingtons, 2 golden laced wyandottes and 2 sapphire gems. They are all about 6-7 weeks old. Thank you so much for any help. I really enjoy reading the posts on this site from others.
20220721_100639~2.jpg
20220721_100918~2.jpg
20220721_101031~2.jpg
20220721_101035~2.jpg
20220721_100736~2.jpg
20220721_100657~2.jpg

You'll want to post pics where we see their tail feathers to have better (more confident) opinions. The shape of the tail feathers is the giveaway clue ;)

I can vote that they all "seem" to be girls, but the 3rd one is a headshot, so no promises.

They are all beautiful though 😍

You'll want to post pics where we see their tail feathers to have better (more confident) opinions. The shape of the tail feathers is the giveaway clue

Tailfeathers are meaningless until the full adult plumage comes in and these are too young to show sex-specific saddle feathers.

That said, I don't see any cause for concern in this batch at the moment -- though sometimes you get a stealthy surprise.

You'll want to post pics where we see their tail feathers to have better (more confident) opinions. The shape of the tail feathers is the giveaway clue ;)

I can vote that they all "seem" to be girls, but the 3rd one is a headshot, so no promises.

They are all beautiful though 😍
Thank you so much. They are such sweethearts

Ah! How old do they have to be before the "real" saddle-feathers are in ?

I've seen male saddle sprouting as early as 10 weeks in my fast-maturing Blue Australorps but 12 weeks is more normal and it could be later in slow-maturing breeds.

You might have to search under the other feathers for some pointy ones at first.

0604221005a_hdr-jpg.3163753

hen vs rooster.jpeg

They all look pullety to me as well, although that second wyandotte has got some look on her face! Lol Wyandottes are known to grow in their combs and wattles early so don't let that bother you. Sapphire Gems are sex links, so those are safely girls. GL and enjoy your chicken parenting journey!

Back
Top Bottom