New Chicken Owner from Minnesota

melannrob

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2016
Minnesota, USA
Hi everyone,

You can call me by my username "melannrob" or by my nickname "Missy." It doesn't matter to me.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes I am. I just got them on Good Friday. Just in time to celebrate the Easter holiday!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I got four chicks, pullets. You can see them in the video below.

0.jpg

(3) What breeds do you have?

Two are Rhode Island Reds and the other two are ISA Browns. (Sorry if I said IRA Browns in the video. I am an accountant and retirement funding is always important! So, I got the wrong acronym stuck in my brain.)

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

I was googling how to build your own chicken coop and this website popped right up. I haven't been able to leave it yet!
wink.png

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

That would take all day to type. I love anything and everything that challenges me, saves me money, and makes me happy. Which is probably close to everything!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I actually moved back home on the farm with my folks a few years back after getting out of the hospital. I was very sick for a few years. I got my Master's degree and then started working as a Fiscal Officer for our county before Christmas this past year. When I am not at work, I help my folks farm.

We have a golden retriever Biscuit in the house at present. We also have nine Jersey Calves we bottle fed and are now fattening up before we send them to market. Now, we got chicks to add to the farm.

My Dad actually tried raising chickens before I was born, but had no luck with them. I am hoping I can do it with help from all of you!

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
- great to have you onboard. I'm sure that you will have no problems raising your chicks.

The Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced chicken keepers - loads of info on anything chicken. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

This link may also be useful - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens

Joining your state thread will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area, which can be helpful (just type the name of your state in the search box).

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif

Hi Missy,

Thanks for the video, your chicks are cute. You've come to the right place for anything/everything to do with poultry so if you need help (or just want to share more fun stuff on your birds), just post.

It's nice to have you here!

Back
Top Bottom