New chicken owner - help is this a hen or a rooster?? approximately 8 weeks or so old

natpb1991

Hatching
Jul 13, 2015
"Local Fluff" pictured here is about 8 weeks old, much bigger then all the other chicks we got at the same time, but they are different breeds. She/he also seems to have a little nub where the spurs might be beginning to grow?? I've tried to figure this out with all the information online but can not tell. Her tell feathers are defined as you can see, but I can't figure it out...any help is appreciated!!! Also, if it is a rooster, what are the downsides of owning a rooster with 5 other hens other then the obvious crowing at the crack of dawn. Thank you very much!!

With a comb and wattles that large and red at only 8 weeks, I think you have a cockerel. The pointed saddle feathers will come in later on. The only other downside of having a cockerel other than the crowing it the possibility that with only 5 hens, he will become very hard physically on your hens. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature and the hormones kick in, too many roosters (or in your case too few hens) will over-breed, bite and pluck the feathers from your hens necks and backs, batter them, and potentially, seriously injure them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching, and 1 rooster can easily handle 10-15 hens in this regard.

Last edited:
Michael is correct. I have a Maran cockerel with large comb and wattles, 12 weeks old, no saddle feathers just yet, but is already crowing. He's molting now so his big boy feathers will be coming in very soon!

With a comb and wattles that large and red at only 8 weeks, I think you have a cockerel. The pointed saddle feathers will come in later on. The only other downside of having a cockerel other than the crowing it the possibility that with only 5 hens, he will become very hard physically on your hens. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature and the hormones kick in, too many roosters (or in your case too few hens) will over-breed, bite and pluck the feathers from your hens necks and backs, batter them, and potentially, seriously injure them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching, and 1 rooster can easily handle 10-15 hens in this regard.

I agree

Thank you all so much!!!!
OK, I've gone back and calculated and from the time pictured above as chicks, (when I got them), until now has been about 10 weeks so maybe they are about 12 weeks?? Would that make a difference on all the thoughts that it's a rooster?

Thank you, hilarious screen name! I guess I will post back in a few weeks when I'm rudely awakened...or I have eggs. :)

Back
Top Bottom