New chicken owner

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

How far are you from Resaca Sun Feeds? They use Fertrell in their feed blends and have wonderful options. Pricing is pretty good too.

loved the pics of your setup and birds, Thanks for sharing.

Now to try and answer your question: Corn, not sure why folks have an issue with corn other than it's really hard to find truly organic that hasn't seen some level of drift from the GMO farms around them. I prefer to get mine from the Amish. Many also consider it to be an empty carb. Soy get's such a bad wrap. Chemically processed is BAD in IMHO. I don't particularly like expellor (sp) processed meal unless it's full fat and then pelleted. My preference is whole roasted soy run through a hammer mill. Many people have issues with soy products and some have allergic reactions to it, but I have friends who sell chickens and eggs to many of those who have issues with soy. Their birds are raised on a ration consisting of whole roasted soy, corn, oats, fish meal, calcium, and Fertrell nutri-ballancer. I'm pretty well convinced that the problems people face doesn't come from the soy, but rather from the chemicals and/or roundup.

I am pretty far from Resaca Sun feeds. Right now I am using Natures Best starter grower but it has way to much dust. I end up throwing out a lot as my chickens do not eat the really fine dusty parts. I guess I can try dumars organic grower as I used their organic starter and no dust. Was really hoping Natures Best was better quality. I am not sure you can see the babies very well in the picture but I would like to get positive breed identity.

I was curious about foods that use cracked grains as I would think the chickens would pic out what they like and leave the rest thus not getting all the nutrients. That is why I get the pellets or crumble. What are your thoughts on this?

This is a debate that runs in circles, I'll often land on it's ok for them to self regulate. Fertrell has done some field studies and tested what was left in the feeder. Never found any fish meal or Nutri-balancer left in the trough—just grain meals. H and H is doing something new that's kind of neat. They blend all their meals and nutr-balancer into a pellet and then crack the pellets along with the grains so everything is the same size.

I can tell you that the whole roasted soy is their least favorite, but even it's gone before dinner and dinner is always completely gone before they go to bed. Says the guy who's currently stuck with pellets. I either have to drive for four hours (round trip) to get good feed or pay $200/ton to have it shipped here.

I have tried to go to rensaca's website but keep getting errors and can not load their home page. Guess I need to call them and try their food and see for myself. I am really tired of all the dust in the natures best starter/grower. Might just be because of the large bag sizes.

Feed drives me crazy. All I can get locally is Tucker and I'm not a fan of it. There's an Amish farm 2 hours drive from me that sells the basic recipes that I like, but I'd need to rent a trailer and get at least a ton at a time. I have friends who used to split my custom blend when the co-op was willing to make it who also want good feed. Between all of us, we are probably at 3 ton a month, but the co-op won't custom blend unless they can get 8 ton a month. It's just crazy. Oh, and even if they do I have to provide the fertrell and fish meal.

Back
Top Bottom