New chicken owner

chicadeeholly

Hatching
6 Years
May 11, 2013
Hello my name is Holly,
As soon as I decided I wanted to raise chickens I found this website. now we have finally adopted 4 baby chicks. 1 grey silkie bantam, 1 bantam (they said it was a silkie and it looks like a silkie except it doesn't have 5 toes), 1 white leghorn and 1 brown leghorn.
They are all still young chicks so we have them in a temporary "house" in our garage. My husband is working on clearing the perfect spot for a coop in our yard. So, I've finally created an account on BYC and I'm so excited to learn how to care for our chicks so they grow up to be healthy and happy!

Greetings from Kansas, Holly, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you in our flock! Good luck to you and your new flock!

welcome-byc.gif
your other silkie is probably pure bred but, just not show quality. the wrong number of toes would disqualify a silkie from showing. If you scan the silkie threads on here you will find scads of pictures of toes and feet - when someone puts up photos of their show hopefuls. I don't know any other breed where so much emphasis is put on that. There are other 5 toed breeds but, I never saw them posting photos.

:welcome  your other silkie is probably pure bred but, just not show quality.   the wrong number of toes would disqualify a silkie from showing.  If you scan the silkie threads on here you will find scads of pictures of toes and feet - when someone puts up photos of their show hopefuls.  I don't know any other breed where so much emphasis is put on that.  There are other 5 toed breeds but, I never saw them posting photos.
M ge3(

Thank you so much for saying that. I had no idea she could still be a silkie. She has black skin and is very tiny compared to our leghorns. I'll definitely check out the silkie forum.

Back
Top Bottom