New chicken owner

If this going to be a permanent place....fix run where chicken can enjoy the ground...do a deep sand method so chicken to scratch around..dust bath and you can rake the poop out of sand. put something on top with support..post in each corner and across top maybe tin... keep rain off chicken and of course the snow where u at in the winter....little less room but no more chickens which i agree. I put old swimming pool liner in my coop floor so I can spray and wash the floor good. Just a help.

welcome-byc.gif
your coop is much too small for that many birds. The standard is 4 sq.feet of space per bird in the coop and 10 sq.feet of space in the outside run. If chickens are too crowded they start attacking each other. It's good to have even more space that required - if your winters are severe and they will spend a lot of time inside. I think it would help a lot if you could post photos of your coop and run
I figured since I will be able to leave the coop door open 24/7 the extra chicken wouldn't be a problem.... I will consider your response; I appreciate it

If this going to be a permanent place....fix run where chicken can enjoy the ground...do a deep sand method so chicken to scratch around..dust bath and you can rake the poop out of sand. put something on top with support..post in each corner and across top maybe tin... keep rain off chicken and of course the snow where u at in the winter....little less room but no more chickens which i agree. I put old swimming pool liner in my coop floor so I can spray and wash the floor good. Just a help. 

I read about the sand and will definitely contemplate this method... I will add a run roof ASAP...

Also just for additional knowledge of my setup I have pine shavings inside the coop

Back
Top Bottom