New chickeneer!

Dedi N

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2016
Canyon Lake
Hello, I'm Dedi N and I need help. I have lost 3 out of 8 chickens over a 3 month period. The first rooster about 7 weeks had droopy eyes about 3 days and died a few days latter. The following week stock barred that would have been 7 weeks old started having puffy eyes. Started probiotics then a few weeks after that a Rhode Island Red had droopy eyes. There were two red & leghorn mixes that had no outwRdly signs but simply not thriving. 5 weeks ago feed store suggested tetroxy antibiotics and I did the corse and all appeared a bit choppier but then started dropping again. Went back to theaters store and they suggested I worm them so I tried that and nothing. Chickens still not thriving and two still have droopy eyes. Then feed store suggested I try Tylan so I ran the course of that, and they suggested a full 10 days and nothing. Lastly they suggested I dose them all with Vetrx and then follow the droops in the mouth and under wings for the droopy ones for 3 or 4 days. I did notice a bit more red in their comb but no health improvement. Today I had one that couldn't get up and another dragging their wings and they were suffering and I had them put down. I am beyond heartbroken. My husband and I spend several hours a day In our chicken yard visiting and have really gotten attached. I now have 1 rooster and four hens and two I think are sick. One has droopy eyes and pale comb, one has pale comb and no weight gain but frame has grown,and just no weight gain and little growth.im attaching pictures cans tone help me?
[/IMG]

Hello, I'm Dedi N and I need help. I have lost 3 out of 8 chickens over a 3 month period. The first rooster about 7 weeks had droopy eyes about 3 days and died a few days latter. The following week stock barred that would have been 7 weeks old started having puffy eyes. Started probiotics then a few weeks after that a Rhode Island Red had droopy eyes. There were two red & leghorn mixes that had no outwRdly signs but simply not thriving. 5 weeks ago feed store suggested tetroxy antibiotics and I did the corse and all appeared a bit choppier but then started dropping again. Went back to theaters store and they suggested I worm them so I tried that and nothing. Chickens still not thriving and two still have droopy eyes. Then feed store suggested I try Tylan so I ran the course of that, and they suggested a full 10 days and nothing. Lastly they suggested I dose them all with Vetrx and then follow the droops in the mouth and under wings for the droopy ones for 3 or 4 days. I did notice a bit more red in their comb but no health improvement. Today I had one that couldn't get up and another dragging their wings and they were suffering and I had them put down. I am beyond heartbroken. My husband and I spend several hours a day In our chicken yard visiting and have really gotten attached. I now have 1 rooster and four hens and two I think are sick. One has droopy eyes and pale comb, one has pale comb and no weight gain but frame has grown,and just no weight gain and little growth.im attaching pictures cans tone help me?
[/IMG]

Sounds like it is something passed from bird to bird. I would take one to the vet or at least bring in one that just died for a necropsy. This is just working its way through your crop unless you find something to stop it.

This was the hen with the droopy eye

Mum was perplexed by the amount of time the one chicken lived and how suddenly the last chicken went down and why some got it and some appear fine. A vet might be my only option. Can any vet help a chicken or do you need a avian type vet?

Thanks! Local vet doesn't do chickens but had a few suggestions to follow up on. They had scrambled eggs & yogurt for breakfast and they loved that so they are eating. Since they have had 2 full courses of antibiotics and been wormed I am adding a few drops of Vetrx to their water. Going to feed store to get eye wash and anti biotics to clean the eye of the droopy eyed chicken and going to get vitamins I can add to their eggs to be sure they get it. Also going to look for a higher quality chicken food. Wish me luck.

Update from August post. New Chickeneer needs further assistance. Sitting here broken-hearted. Had to put down my last three birds yesterday. Lost my whole flock to Mercks. Just heartsick! Being a new Chickeneer I figured I was doing such a good thing to buying organic pullets. Unfortunately I bought them from a farm that had active Mercks and sold me unvaccinated pullets. I'm torn between heartsick and furious but bottom line I blame myself for not doing my own research prior to getting my babies. I miss my cheeps so much I can't believe what a big part of my day they were. Definitely want to move forward and replace my beloved flock but now I'm terrified. I'm pretty sure I got a handle on the coop cleaning process, but have these questions: 1). What is the best process to decontaminate the soil and the free range area? I know it's badly contaminated as it took months for me to figure this all out. I have even lost my Mom's beautiful songbirds. I need to be sure I have eradicated this horrible stuff before I add new birds because I can't handle another loss like this. I also have heard from weeks to months should be waited before adding be birds. Any advice would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom