New chickens but I'm not sure whose who

Torch404

Songster
11 Years
Jan 15, 2009
Northern Cali
I got my first birds 4 month old hens. I was told 2 EE's and a Red sex link. It was really dark when I got them so I'm not sure who's who. Please help, or let me know if they are something completely different.

I'm pretty sure he said EE for this one, well he actually said Ameraucana from the feed store.

2-14-09139small.jpg

I thought this one was an EE but now I think it is the sex link

2-14-09141small.jpg

The one in the back is still skitterish and this is the best pic I have. I though she was the sex link but then I noticed cheek tufts.

coop10small.jpg

Here's another of all three

coop2small.jpg

Let me know what you think they are. Thanks

I agree. Were they sold to you as chicks or at this age? If someone sold you that rooster as a hen when it looked like that, they either have no idea what a rooster looks like or they took advantage of you on purpose.

Last edited:
Quote:
Agreed.

There's nothing in any of those chickens that could suggest an EE (leg color, muff or beards, pea comb, or even feather coloring). The seller was way off in that regard. The gold laced chicken is definitely a rooster - it's obvious by the pointed hackle & sickle feathers plus you can see how large his wattles are compared to the silver hen's wattles. The two hens are still a good breed to have and will both lay large brown eggs.

I like all your chickens but I really like your little red sex link. Mine is sort of a mousy brown, and with her shy, retiring nature we always call her the little brown hen. But yours is really pretty. Makes me think I should think about getting some more.

I bought them 4 days ago so I think the guy knew. I just emailed him about swapping out the roo for another sex link. I don't mind the Wyandotte I think the silver one is gorgeous and they lay brown eggs which is what I want...other then blue/green eggs.

Thanks for tipping me off before I get some angry neighbors from a roo crowing. I'll be sure to have everyone ID the bird he gives me as a replacement.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

I talked to the guy that sold me the roo and he swapped it out for another red sex link. I should be set for eggs and can wait till a real blue egger shows up...hehehehe I'll post a pic of the new one when I can. She looks almost identatical to the first although she might be less skitterish.
lol.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Thanks again for all the help!!

I am thinking that both of the "Wyandottes" could EASILY be a Wyandotte/EE mix. They just aren't giving me a pure Wyandotte feel....so I think they (well, the female anyway) could still lay a greenish egg.

I say PUREBRED HATCHERY STOCK on all three, the Golden Laced Wyandotte is a roo ( of course you already know that) and I don't think any of them are crosses.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom