New chickens- How do I get them back in the coop without scaring the fluff out of them?!?!?

Update- Everyone here on BYC was correct. They are doing much better and go right into the coop as the sun goes down. Now to work on a "Treat Call"

Thanks for eveyones input and help!

Jim

IS IT TOO LATE TO TEACH THEM TREAT TRICKS WHEN THEY ARE 8 WEEKS OLD? I BROUGHT 1 OUT AND (HOPEFULLY HE) WENT TO THE NEIGHBORS YARD...
hit.gif
ITS GETTING DARK OUT AND THERE ARE STRAY CATS OUT BUT HOPEFULLY HE

COMES BACK.

I completed my chicken run 2 days ago, and I have been dealing with this a bit too. My chickens were locked in the coop fir about a week before I finished the run, and they LOVE to be outside in the run now. In the evening they begin peeping very loudly when it is time to go back in, but they just haven't totally figured out that they need to jump back into the coop yet. I round them up and put them back in, and they settle into their roosting corner immediately. I'm sure with time they will figure all of this out for themselves.

New chickens- How do I get them back in the coop without scaring the fluff out

AWhen I gather my hens back into their coop and run I grab two long sticks whether they are metal or branches. I will guide the entire group at the same time not letting them go beyond the sticks and have them walk in front of me never touching them with the sticks.

This method has workers beautifully the past two years. If my group is spread out everywhere I'll use a treat like bread to gather them. I'm always giving them goodies, so they do associate me with good food. Sometimes I can lure them all with the food only, but not often.

If I'm luring with food, I lay the sticks on the ground otherwise they will run.

Whenever I leave my home for any reason, I put my flock away. There are too many loose dogs and coyotes not to keep an eye on them.

My sticks are pretty long, at least 5-8 ft long. I have fiberglass ones that are really light, but my husband is afraid I'm going to get slivers in my hands.

I prefer to free range since it makes the eggs taste better.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom