New chicks, can anyone help?

sarahhof

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2015
I just had a few eggs hatch on Thursay and Friday, does anyone know what breed or, if it is possible to tell, gender? I don't know who the parents were and the eggs were all different colors. Here they are:

The one below is a lot smaller than the rest, is anything wrong with him? He's a little sweetheart.

here's a size comparison

I don't have any chickens, but I've hatched them at least five times before. It's illegal to have them where i live, which is weird because i live in the country, so i hatch them and give them to people who want to raise them for eggs. I got a batch of eggs that the farmer was unsure were fertilized or not, and I don't know what that farmer raises.

Last edited:
I don't know if i'll be able to find the farmer again lol, thanks for giving me an idea about the first one. what about the tiny chick? He walks really fast and low to the ground, is shakier than the others, and at least half the size. I haven''t seen him eat or drink as much as the other chicks, though I have seen him eat and drink, but I don't know.. Is there really such a thing as a runt chicken?

Was the egg smaller? Is it a bantam breed? I'm too new to chickens to give you a really good answer. I have one that I would call the "runt" right now. It's developing and eating just like the rest but it's definitely smaller.

No, actually, the egg was a decent size. I don't think it's a bantam, and he definitely sleeps much more than the other chicks.

He's the one in my profile picture <3

Last edited:
I just had an extra sleepy chick that I had to coax to eat and drink. Not to scare you but it passed away on day 4. I just say that because if I could've done something differently I would've added vitamins to the water right from the get go.

I have to coax it to eat and drink too, but I am constantly hovering over their cage... I've never had to buy vitamins before, what should I get? Then again, It's only about day 2 for him..

Back
Top Bottom